IGNORED

What Would You Do? Long lost HLS30-07631

73str86

I tried busting a couple dry rusty lug nuts with a tire iron last weekend, and failed. I'm going to keep the wheels and hub caps.

I sprayed the lugs/studs with Kroil earlier today and picked up a cheap electric impact gun because I can't find my cordless Milwaukee during the move.

If I am successful, she will be listed on ebay with the bead blasted slotted Shelby mags and new tires.

• Like 1

I wish I had my milwaukee rated for 1400 ft lbs. This $45 Chicago Electric is rated at less than 250 ft lbs. I successfully mounted the front wheels, but the cheap impact literally shook itself apart on the rear lug nuts and didn't break a single one loose. 

I added another application of Kroil to the rear lug nuts.

I'm going to return the impact gun tomorrow and buy the next level Bauer, rated for 400+ ft lbs.

If that was an air cooled 911 or a 356, you are looking at $20-25K as it sits. But 240Z. A parts car. IMO.

To your point - this thing was literally paper thin in areas - probably why the do not touch sign was on it - and I was shocked how much it sold for 6 year ago!!

ce9a5ea236df41aeb286aa007abf2a80.jpg
b2aece83c8bfbdd870dfbaf9c1cc009d.jpg

But never underestimate the power of of having will and skill! If the OP can do metalwork to a high standard then a tonne of cost is saved.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I must admit that is an odd car.  Looking at the outside, I see a lot of sheet metal that needs repaired.  All doable.  But when I look at the engine bay and all of those rusted bolts, rusted fuel rail, etc, I wonder how many bolts will snap in the engine and the suspension during tear down.  When I see the engine, the body sheet metal doesnt reflect how wet the car has been.

You'll do better with more pictures.  The door jamb tag and the fenderwell tag and the firewall VIN stamp and more of underneath.  Also some side-on views from a lower angle.  Those rockers look rusty.  Floor pans too.  And interior.

Anyone looking to restore a low number car will want to know how bad the rust is.  I'd guess that Indiana uses salt on the roads and that that car saw some salt.

Good luck.  Post the listing when it's up.

15 hours ago, 87mj said:

I must admit that is an odd car.  Looking at the outside, I see a lot of sheet metal that needs repaired.  All doable.  But when I look at the engine bay and all of those rusted bolts, rusted fuel rail, etc, I wonder how many bolts will snap in the engine and the suspension during tear down.  When I see the engine, the body sheet metal doesnt reflect how wet the car has been.

wd40 bath first LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1