IGNORED

What Would You Do? Long lost HLS30-07631

73str86

I'm at a crossroads here. I stumbled on this 7/70 240z yesterday, and drove 8 hours round trip to pick her up today.

HLS30-07631 

The previous owner acquired a 75 acre junkyard in Michigan. He said he pulled this 240z out of a barn where it sat for 30 years.

Mostly complete, and mostly all early Series 1 parts are present.

So what do I do? Surely I could part her out, chop her up, and make a sizable profit.

The other side of me wants to get the matching numbers motor running, get her titled, and let someone take on the project of restoring her to her former beauty. So far I've polled a couple Facebook Datsun groups and the majority of voters are saying to save her versus a full part out.

This car needs a lot of metal work. Rockers, doglegs, wheel arches, floors, framerails, rear apron.

At the moment I am looking for a single early D hub cap, if anyone wants to sell me one. I would also settle for late D hub cap too.

Screenshot_20230611_091520_Gallery.jpg

20230611_094319.jpg

20230611_090258.jpg

20230611_125439.jpg

20230611_125456.jpg

20230611_125448.jpg

20230611_125421.jpg

2 hours ago, 73str86 said:

So what do I do? Surely I could part her out, chop her up, and make a sizable profit.

Is this a real question or are you just showing the car?  It's probably worth more as it sits than after parting it out.   I don't know that I'd even try to start it.  Post up more pictures after cleaning it up.  Rust underneath is the big bad thing.

From the few pics shown it appears to have some serious issues. I would be afraid to see what’s left after stripping it down. Just to get it running will take quite an effort, and quite a few $$$’s. Unless you’re up for it, it’s probably easier to sell as is.

That's a pretty low number car. I am generally opposed to parting these cars out, but there are always exceptions to that. Being stored in a field is really hard on the underside of the car!

I don't think I would try to start it. I might oil the cylinders and see if it will bar over but starting takes a lot more effort and it will most likely need a rebuild no matter what.

The upside is a great amount of the needed metal to restore the underneath has become available in the last few years and more is available every day.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, 73str86 said:

He said he pulled this 240z out of a barn where it sat for 30 years

39 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Being stored in a field is really hard on the underside of the car!

It was in  a barn.  There's potential.  Looks like that back bumper was ripped off when they tried to pull it using a strap on the bumper. 

At this point, do no more damage while cleaning and inspecting seems in order.

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Is this a real question or are you just showing the car?  It's probably worth more as it sits than after parting it out.   I don't know that I'd even try to start it.  Post up more pictures after cleaning it up.  Rust underneath is the big bad thing.

I am trying to maximize my profit, plain and simple.

If I part it out I will keep some parts I need for my mostly rust free 1/71.

20 hours ago, Zed Head said:

It was in  a barn.  There's potential.  Looks like that back bumper was ripped off when they tried to pull it using a strap on the bumper. 

At this point, do no more damage while cleaning and inspecting seems in order.

You're right, under the passenger's side rear bumper is damaged/torn off by the rear bumper bracket. If I'm not mistaken this rear apron is now available new. Surprisingly both bumpers are still in pretty good shape.

Edited by 73str86

It will take a very skilled craftsman/shop and a lot of cash to save this car. All of the sheet metal is readily available. 

I would also hate to cut up a relatively low vin 240z. I've owned at least a dozen semi-rough/driver S30s and I did not scrap any of them.

I think that I would try to sell it as is. There may be someone out there with the desire for an early Z and the skills to restore it. However, I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to get it running if the engine will turn over. And, having been there before, prep it for a test run around the neighborhood. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

I think that I would try to sell it as is. There may be someone out there with the desire for an early Z and the skills to restore it. However, I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to get it running if the engine will turn over. And, having been there before, prep it for a test run around the neighborhood. 

I agree Mark, I have always spent at least a day tinkering to try to get them started. I don't mind investing in tune-up parts to try to hear the engine purr.

• Like 1

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago.  I found a 6/70 that was in fair condition.  Complete, etc.  I got the car restored by a POS body guy.  He made the car worse than it was when I got it.  They had to redo all of the POS guy's work and he damaged good sheet metal. I had a choice between scraping the body and selling the parts or fixing it.  I am fixing it.  They second body shop has had the car now for about 6 months.  I am pretty picky about the level of detail and the guys I found are doing a fantastic job.  I dont think I could have found a better body shop.  The replacement KF panels really helped too.

I can send you pictures if you want.  I google mapped and you are about 3 hours from their shop.  I think I will have the car back in about 30 days.  Maybe less.  You are welcome to stop by and take a look if you want.  I am near Columbia City. I bet my car was in better shape than yours when I bought it but I bet your car is in better shape than mine was when I took it to the second body shop. I would get it fixed in a heartbeat.  Best of luck.

• Like 3