IGNORED

Hydraulic Clutch Line Mounting Bracket location?

z3beemer

I'm doing a trans swap (auto - manual) as part of my 73 restoration.  I want to run the hydraulic line from the clutch master cylinder to the frame bracket while I have the engine out of the car.  I have the metal bracket that mounts on top or the right frame rail but I'm not sure where to mount it, since the auto trans cars did not have it.  Can anyone give me an approx. measurement for the location on the frame rail?  This is the bracket that handles the transition from the hydraulic metal line to the rubber hose that connects to the slave cylinder.  I hate to have to put the engine in to determine the location, then take the engine back out to fabricate the line and weld the bracket in.  As always, thanks in advance.

z3beemer (Paul)

4 hours ago, texasz said:

Here are a couple more pix showing this area with a line and slave attached.

nzSz5Rf1EH727zh2ofTrc0Q05yFzWE8vKGWaaCeu

u18IDv33_KqjeDA9UmGu59ZUH-1v9EAYV2jGE6x5

I guess I don't have access to these pictures.

One question on this... Is that tab that the clutch hard line connects to there on an AT car?

Edited by w3wilkes

1 hour ago, w3wilkes said:

One question on this... Is that tab that the clutch hard line connects to there on an AT car?

Have a look now, I've attached them differently this time.

I would suspect that the tab would be there since when the body was built they likely did not do things differently for AT/MT due to cost of tooling change etc.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:50 PM, Yarb said:

Tabs not there as I found out when I did my conversion.  ZCD  has the bracket if you haven’t procured one yet. 

And I continue learning new things about these cars every day, tank you @Yarb!

On 2/10/2023 at 9:11 PM, SteveJ said:

Thank you for the link @SteveJ.

On 2/10/2023 at 11:02 AM, w3wilkes said:

On 2/10/2023 at 12:18 PM, texasz said:

I would suspect that the tab would be there since when the body was built they likely did not do things differently for AT/MT due to cost of tooling change etc.

No, the bracket wasn’t attached during manufacturing of cars with automatic transmissions. 

Another difference is the shifter opening in the transmission tunnel. If I recall correctly, it is forward of what a manual transmission car would have, by an inch or two. I’ve seen other posts where the swap was done, and the rear portion was cut out, turned around and reattached at the forward end of the opening.

Also missing on automatic equipped cars is the stop on the floor/firewall for the clutch pedal.

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1