IGNORED

Hard Cold Start

rosaaen89

I bought one that was hard to start cold. After pulling them off I saw that the PO had used stiff fuel line from the nozzles to the float chambers. The nozzles wouldn't go all the way down with that hose on there the way the cables were adjusted. My dumb arse got the cables super tight and forced them down. That lasted about 2 days and the choke lever assembly broke off the console. :facepalm:

I bought some of the right type hose that came in a kit on e-bay for like $20 bucks, before I learned of ztherapy.com. Also found one of the best home garage design 240 part that's out there. A better than OE bracket for the choke lever made by Art Singer.

Also need to add something recent that was causing hard start up after sitting awhile. My float chamber lids were loose enough that the fuel was evaporating out of the chambers/bowls. Tightened those 4 screws up and now it hits right off the bat. Little things can turn into huge things I've learned. :victorious:

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

Pull that choke cable out, shoot oil into it and hang it down

But make sure the end of the cable is a clean cut otherwise you'll never be able to get it back in... 

There are things for it to put on the outer lining, you have to make a little hole in the plastic, then put a lube-thing (PIC!)  over it and then you can lube the inner cable without taking it out..

De bronafbeelding bekijken

Don't know but there should different diameter lubricating thingy's be..  Those steel U-form things you can take out and place it onto the cable. Lube with teflon or ptfe - oil.  And close the lid. leave the thing on the hole in the cable. (maybe use some super glue to let it stick on the right spot. 🙂  Just use a little drop haha otherwise you glue the cable stuck! :finger:

i did get the bracket to mount cable on center tunnel instead of under console since my console was broke already. ill take the cable off today and get it oiled up . it might be broke or needing some oil since it’s already real hard to pull back 

• Like 1

well guys i took the cable out and lubed it up. the nozzles pull down and car starts easier when cold now but stick some when i push the choke back. now my issue is after driving it seems to accelerate slow and sluggish , also noticed an exhaust leak that wasn’t there before so idk if that could make it run that way or if it’s a different issue now.

• Like 1

The nozzles sticking is frequently caused by misaligned nozzle linkage. The ends of the little flat bar linkage pieces must be parallel with their mating surfaces. Normally a bit of a twist with pliers is all it needs to realign them. Unfortunately, I've not found a way to see and tweak the linkage into alignment without removing the carbs.

Slow and sluggish acceleration sounds like it may be running rich. Pull a spark plug or two and take a look.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1