IGNORED

Hard Cold Start

rosaaen89

Good afternoon guys, 

im looking for a little help on my 72 240 l24. So in the mornings first time starting it takes awhile for it to crank and start up. sometimes i’ll have to let it crank for quite some time then let off then try again with my foot on gas and it’ll start up. once the car is warmed up i can shut it off and start it right back up like 30min later. it has newer plugs ,wires  and distributor cap. There’s fuel in the fuel filter every time in my engine bay, it has an electric fuel pump as well. Another issue is that sometimes i have to turn my key over multiple times for it to actually register and try to crank. i’m guessing that is ignition switch needing replaced or cleaned up. Anybody have an idea on what it could potentially be?

ya i tried pulling the choke back and crank it . before it seemed to pulled the nozzles down but now ill have to double check. might sound dumb but if i pull the choke cable should the nozzles be noticeably down like i could press them back up and feel it with my finger when doing so 

maybe cables not pulling it down all the way. i took them off when i cleaned the carbs up and reattached them. there were little grooves wore in the plastic covering where they fit in the little bracket so i assumed it’d go right back in there like that

11 hours ago, rosaaen89 said:

try again with my foot on gas and it’ll start up.

Does not matter if you give full throttle, only in our minds it helps haha.. i often doe it myself at cold start.. Just pull the choke completely when very cold weather..

Edited by dutchzcarguy

You can unhook the choke cables at the carb and move the levers manually to check function. Also make sure they dont stick down. I have seen many do that. Once you check functionality then I would inspect the choke cable. Jacket could be broken,  a cable could be snapped or it could be broken away from the console

• Like 1
  • Agree 1