IGNORED

Let’s talk about gasoline

Av8ferg

2 hours ago, Yarb said:

@Racer XHow does the higher octane level affect the timing settings on the engine itself? Meaning retarding or advancing the timing.

Higher octane number fuel, you can advance the timing more, before it start's knocking. In modern cars there is a knock sensor, that does that automatically

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yarb said:

@Racer XHow does the higher octane level affect the timing settings on the engine itself? Meaning retarding or advancing the timing.

Yes, the timing can be advanced a bit with higher octane, helping to get a bit more power from the engine.

But, one needs to learn the art of reading spark plugs, and make frequent assessments and adjustments, to avoid detonation.

4 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

In modern cars there is a knock sensor, that does that automatically

In electronically controlled systems, the knock sensor tells the ECM when detonation occurs, and the ECM retards the timing from the initial advance setting. Otherwise the ECM controls the ignition timing based on load and throttle position.

• Agree 1

On 2/15/2023 at 1:47 PM, zspert said:

Of course, if we go to 15% ethanol all bets are off!!

I got huge problems with E10 in my work ( scooters, mopeds )...  carbs get killed with it, and it eats anything rubber ( fuel petcock, hoses ) Valves clogg up etc.

Here in the netherlands it's since oktober 2019, the first year had huge problems with customers, now mostly everybody knows to put normal gasoline ( super here ), which is ethanol free..

I heard Germany wants to stop with E10 and go back to normal fuel.

The video was interesting. Would have been nice to have them fill 5 gallons and see if that's enough volume to clear the lines. I typically fill several 5 gallon jugs with fuel. Guess I'll have to label them and use them in the order they're filled...