IGNORED

Let’s talk about gasoline

Av8ferg

This is a very recent article from the Wall Street Journal. I consider the WSJ one of the most unbiased and reliable new organizations. Read the article before commenting.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/alaska-native-american-energy-lng-natural-gas-pipelines-inupiaq-eskimos-oil-exports-north-slope-federal-land-biden-ukraine-invasion-11646413138

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

“I consider” was the word I used. We live in a world full of bias. I personally believe with all my reading and education that we this article is probably very accurate. We need energy to maintain our status on the global stage. The counter is a place you nor I probably want to live. I’ve been to every continent except Antarctica and more countries than I care to count. I’ve seen poverty all over and fossil fuels have benefited humanity in untold ways bringing people out of poverty. It is not without its consequences. Without fossils fuels we can’t get to a green sustainable energy future. It is literally the road map and engine to the future. You can’t build all the solar panels and windmills without it. You have to transition intelligently. We’re have to import the oil now already, why now use ours. We extract it cleaner and safer than anyone else and it enriches our population not Putin or the dictator in Venezuela or the extremist is the Middle East. This is just common sense…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 2

You can buy non-ethanol fuel at your local boat dock.  Ethanol is highly frowned upon in the yachting world for gas engines, and typically very good quality.

I remember the days when I was running my grandfathers airport fuel business in San Diego.  I used to buy 130 octane leaded gas for around 55 cents or so.  I'd pull my Z right up to the truck, connect the static line, and pump it directly into the car.  Those days are long gone and you cannot fill a car with aviation fuel (for tax reasons apparently).  But my Z ran like a top and I remember seeing greyish soot in my tailpipe instead of the typical black soot.  I still remember taking her out on the taxiway and driving as fast as I could (those days are ALSO long gone).  I loved being 18-19 years old with a classic Z...  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So we have three streams of debate about Ethanol.
1. Is it better for the environment?
2. Is it better or worse for your car?
3. It’s deeply rooted in politics

We’ve touched on 2 and 3 and I think the conclusion on 2 is that it is probably not great for a classic car but fine for modern vehicles. It might be better to seek non-ethanol gas for your Z, but it’s not going to kill your Z either.

On 3…people with differing political views on oil, energy and ethanol will not change sides. We humans are too deeply rooted in our belief systems and are unwilling to give quarter to the the other side even in the face of facts to change points of view so this debate it’s sort of pointless.

On point 1. We can just follow the science. The science states corn based ethanol is probably not better and may in fact be worse for the environment.

This guy breaks it down using science and data from prominent professors and institutions like Harvard. Super smart guy that I follow on YouTube. His channel is Engineering Explained and he reminds me of what Captain Obvious was probably like about 15 years or more ago.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 8 months later...

I just stumbled on this video that I found interesting .  I never had really thought about residual fuel in gas station pumps that contaminate what your paying and getting.  Not really a big deal when buying 20 gals of gas but definitely a factor when buying 2 gallons.  

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

I just stumbled on this video that I found interesting .  I never had really thought about residual fuel in gas station pumps that contaminate what your paying and getting.  Not really a big deal when buying 20 gals of gas but definitely a factor when buying 2 gallons.  

At least the Maverik stations in my neck of the woods have dedicated hoses for the ethanol free gas.

On 5/16/2022 at 1:17 AM, Mike said:

You can buy non-ethanol fuel at your local boat dock.  Ethanol is highly frowned upon in the yachting world for gas engines, and typically very good quality.

I remember the days when I was running my grandfathers airport fuel business in San Diego.  I used to buy 130 octane leaded gas for around 55 cents or so.  I'd pull my Z right up to the truck, connect the static line, and pump it directly into the car.  Those days are long gone and you cannot fill a car with aviation fuel (for tax reasons apparently).  But my Z ran like a top and I remember seeing greyish soot in my tailpipe instead of the typical black soot.  I still remember taking her out on the taxiway and driving as fast as I could (those days are ALSO long gone).  I loved being 18-19 years old with a classic Z...  

I started buying 100 LL for my race Z to defray the high cost of 110 octane racing fuel. I load up my fuel jugs, head to the local airstrip tat supports general aviation, and fill them up.

Works great, at much lower cost.

The light grey “soot” in your tailpipe was tetra ethyl lead. There is still a small amount of lead in avgas, although the amount gets reduced more as time goes on.

And yes, using airplane fuel in road going vehicles will get you cross threaded with the tax collector.