IGNORED

1977, 280z with FS5W71B transmission

If you don't have a pressure washer take it to a spray car wash, one with hot water. You knew that I know but that's just me being me. LOL

Wear goggles [emoji41] and some old clothes because you will get soaked and dirty when the high pressure water hits all the angles on the casing. It’s a messy business. Thank god most of that work in behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings

the rear down is reasonably painless except the roller for the fifth/reverse that the double needle bearing was running on.  Boy, it was tough.  Either you’re really strong or has a long lever to pull it out using the split bearing tool.  All my might and it didn’t even make a sweat .  Fortunately, I have an impact gun.  Make it much easier.  I forgot to take pictures as I was so happy it came out… 😉

all the gears and even bearing appear to be in good condition.  No chips or abuse that I can see.  Normal wear and tear is all.

the photos below make me question.  Is it normal?  Also, apparently there’s clear silicone sealant around the seal.  I guess it make it easier to put it in.  What concern me is the hole where I point using the screw driver.  I mean, the seal suppose to prevent the oil from coming out anyway.  But why the hole there?

478312C9-E5A8-40AB-87EB-4D38E8D120E1.jpegB043949E-3033-40E5-88B7-EEB8E95D0621.jpeg

Did a search online.  Look like this transmission was rebuild at least one time.  Look like the below, aftermarket part.  Mine original wide-ratio is cast iron instead of aluminum.  Perhaps I’m going to use the cast iron instead.  Feel more study but heavier .  Don’t know if it make any different 😉

image.jpeg

Nissan went to aluminum front covers in later transmissions.  That's not an aftermarket piece.  Check the nose for wear.  The throwout bearing rides on it and if it seizes it can wear a groove in the nose.  

The hole is a weep hole so that any leakage will exit before it travels down and out the end of the nose over the clutch disc.

Like Dave WM said, make sure you find that shim.  It's important.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The hole is a weep hole so that any leakage will exit before it travels down and out the end of the nose over the clutch disc.

Like Dave WM said, make sure you find that shim.  It's important.  

That makes perfectly sense.  Live and learn.  Thanks gentlemen!

Today is a great(er) day.  Parts are here except the tail housing bushing.  Perhaps next week.  I do have gas power , power washer but thought it would be too noisy to disturb the neighbors.  It will probably be quicker but sure will leave stream of dark, oily water down the drain to the ocean.  I do like to eat sushi every now and then 😉

the mineral spirit and wire brush clean up nicely.  After the mineral spirit evaporated,  leaves a thick layer of dirty oil…

F1873E5B-C195-4CA0-86EA-D14421BBC12B.jpeg

14BF965C-8177-4B9F-9AFB-A252981137B0.jpeg

95B3FC54-253D-4787-B0DB-54A53E21CAFA.jpeg