IGNORED

280z battery

ennisdavis

I agree on the 24 series as being original. Unfortunately there aren’t many suppliers that go into the higher amperage ratings. Recently I found the 34 series AGM battery from Bosch. 770 CCA with a 4 year warranty Non prorated replacement. Just installed mine and it’s a bit shorter than the 24 series but with the spacer provided it fits fine. $238  Probably not for the purist Z owner but is has the cranking power and residual capacity.

2 hours ago, Yarb said:

alternative’s friend

Grammatically, that would be a friend of the alternative.  Just trolling...

I wonder if ennisdavis has a tray under the battery lifting it up.  The stock battery location is generally bad.  Puts the positive post close to metal and has a leak point directly above the battery that continually washes corrosive salts down over the fender well if the car gets wet.  Yet, they stuck with it all the way to the ZX.

A shorter battery with a complete cover on top would be a big improvement.  Points deducted though.

Edited by Zed Head

If you want to have the latest in battery technology regardless of fit or if you're satisfied with the hold down parts you bought at your local auto parts store what I'm writing won't be of interest to you. If, however, authenticity is paramount then the following will, I hope, help you reach your goal.

The correct Nissan battery for your 240/260/280 is still available from your local dealer for not much more than you would pay at your local Auto Parts Inc. Yes, you will have to saw off the brackets that secure the plastic lifting handle, a 3 minute job. Afterwards the battery will conform comfortable with all the correct factory hold down parts, also still available from Nissan. That is, save the firewall insulator and related fastener. Those are available from Banzai Motorworks. Of course I'm not including the Holy Grail battery covers.

2878 - 1972 240

2879 -  1978 280

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2878.JPG

IMG_2879.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2021 at 4:23 PM, ennisdavis said:

20210912_190052.jpg

The battery you have has a common change that people make.  You have swapped polarity on your terminals.  Negative close to the chassis is not an electrical issue just a convenience issue.  The factory setup has positive right next to the chassis for the occasional spark adventure.  Some people even switch to side-posts screw type terminals.

So you're off-spec. already anyway.  But if you're worried about sparks from that close terminal it's not a concern.  That's the negative terminal, it's already grounded.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:57 PM, Zed Head said:

The battery you have has a common change that people make.  You have swapped polarity on your terminals.  Negative close to the chassis is not an electrical issue just a convenience issue.  The factory setup has positive right next to the chassis for the occasional spark adventure.  Some people even switch to side-posts screw type terminals.

So you're off-spec. already anyway.  But if you're worried about sparks from that close terminal it's not a concern.  That's the negative terminal, it's already grounded.

Actually, I had a 24F in my 240Z a long time ago and made the mistake of driving it without having the battery fully secured. When I made a right turn, the battery moved left, and the positive post contacted the engine. Fortunately, I put out the electrical fire before the car burned up. I am all for using the 24 instead of the 24F based upon my personal experience.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1