IGNORED

What spline lug lock is this??

34 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Measure the diameter and spline width. Google "9 splined shaft couplers". It also looks like Mcmaster Carr has a good selction.You may get lucky.

Won't work as the splines are not symmetrical to act as tumblers in a lock.  They look like Gorilla brand locks to me.  I'd contact Gorilla and see if they can supply the proper key.

At this point barring finding the right key, I'd pull the bearing nut to remove the wheel from the spindle and then drill the head off the stud from the back side.  Once the head is off, hammer the stud and nut through and insert a new stud.  I'd also remove all grease from the hub as there will be metal shavings in there from drilling.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

At this point barring finding the right key, I'd pull the bearing nut to remove the wheel from the spindle and then drill the head off the stud from the back side. 

Seems like that should work, physically, but also shouldn't work, theft-wise.  Kind of defeats the whole purpose of locking lug nuts, and it's faster. 

Edit - the caliper will need to come off with the assembly, I think, because the rotor is bolted to the hub and the spindle will not let the rotor drop out of the caliper.  So, a little more complicated than it seems.  Not as quick and easy as I had first thought.  Actually I had thought of it initially but convinced myself it wasn't necessary.  Wrong, I think.  I haven't worked on front brakes for a while.  Can the caliper bolts be removed without removing the wheel?  Not sure they can.  Show stopper...

It's the best idea yet.  You'll need the key code for Gorilla.  Good luck with that

https://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla-locks

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

If you are unsuccessful with Gorilla, you could take a 12 point socket that just slips over the un-splined part of the nut and mark where the splines are with a sharpie, or transfer with some plumbers putty. Then grind/file 9 slots to match the splines. Instant key. Of course the would be a once time use tool and care would need to be taken to not use excessive force.

Custom socket.png

Edited by CanTechZ
Disclaimer added
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

If you are unsuccessful with Gorilla, you could take a 12 point socket that just slips over the un-splined part of the nut and mark where the splines are with a sharpie, or transfer with some plumbers putty. Then grind/file 9 slots to match the splines. Instant key.

Might not even need nine.  Get four or five prongs to fit some open spaces.  He'd need a good grinder though.  A cutoff wheel  and a vise would be about right.  Of course, the socket could explode when he tries it depending on how tight the nut is.  (pssst...SteelStick)

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

56 minutes ago, Shawninvancouver said:

The splines don’t do all the way down the bolt.  It’s more of a key fit then a spline fit.  

I made a crude model of the nut and put the modified socket on, hopefully this makes sense to you now.

Socket on lug nut.png

I still say bolt extractor, a good long breaker bar, and a hammer to smack on the back of it to drive it on and shock it.

If for some reason that won’t grab, cut little slots with your dremmel where it leaves marks for it to grab.

Wouldn’t hurt to get some penetrating oil on there maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Shawninvancouver said:

Good model.   That’s pretty much what I need.   Easiest way is to get the key.  After that what is that? A huge socket I grinder slots into? One mistake and new socket.  

Definitely better to get the proper key. And a reminder that if you did go with the modifying a socket method, care must be taken to not apply excessive force or you could injure yourself if the socket exploded. Ie use safety glasses and gloves.

Edited by CanTechZ