IGNORED

Restoring and prepping hardware for plating - the "easy" way

inline6

On 8/7/2021 at 7:28 AM, Diseazd said:

Eats rust off......not so much grease

Whats a good method for getting the grease off? I have a handful of parts with a THICK and sometimes HARD layer of what looks like grease caked on. Ive been using a wire wheel for the easier spots, but tight crevasses are still dirty

Hot parts washer, toothbrush/paint brush, and vapor honing works wonders.

I use OilEater heated to 125F.  Works like magic, as long as you ignore the fact that you still have to use a brush.  I avoid getting grease/oil in the blast cabinet whenever possible so I always clean first.

I've soaked parts like that in mineral spirits for days - nothing.  I've used OilEater cold (50F) - nothing.  Hot OilEater goes right through it and makes it quick and easy.

8 hours ago, CW240Z72 said:

Evapo-Rust or CLR do wonders for removing rust when prepping hardware. I tried the media blasting but its very difficult with the smaller parts. I soaked everything in CLR overnight, and wire-wheeled every part. Doing so gives the metal a nice luster that shines through the plating.

What is CLR?  I use a heavy duty basket from Skat Blast for the media blasting. I string some parts onto a wire to keep them from moving around too much.  How do you wire wheel small parts?  I can't hold on to them and wire wheel them without worry of wire wheeling my fingers!

8 hours ago, CW240Z72 said:

Don't bother with itemizing everything in zip locks, as you'll get everything back in one big box. I wrote every fastener down by size/length/thread pitch/qty and transferred that over to an Excel sheet for easy tracking.

I used zip lock bags to keep things organized as I dis-assembled the car.  I've created a sheet like you describe also.  I will update this google sheet version from time to time until it is complete for my restoration project.  Maybe we could consolidate if it makes a better version.  When I get things back from the plater, I plan to put all the hardware back in the respective zip lock bags.  I think it will take a few months for me to re-assemble everything after the car gets painted.  

• Like 3

Such lists have been created by at least three CZCC members in the past -- in varying degrees of completeness.  In fact, I think somebody just posted another one a couple of weeks ago.  Here's my favourite (because it includes photos).  It dates from 2019 and, IIRC, was posted by either @CanTechZ or @240dkw.  Whoever it was, I hope they spot this re-post and claim credit.  It's very nicely done.

s30_Hardware_pictures.pdf

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Namerow said:

Such lists have been created by at least three CZCC members in the past -- in varying degrees of completeness.  In fact, I think somebody just posted another one a couple of weeks ago.  Here's my favourite (because it includes photos).  It dates from 2019 and, IIRC, was posted by either @CanTechZ or @240dkw.  Whoever it was, I hope they spot this re-post and claim credit.  It's very nicely done.

s30_Hardware_pictures.pdf 5.24 MB · 1 download

I liked that one as well. It was actually created by @zKarsand posted by @Zup here, on this thread that has a lot of good info on the subject of fasteners

On 8/10/2021 at 12:13 PM, CW240Z72 said:

Evapo-Rust or CLR do wonders for removing rust when prepping hardware. I tried the media blasting but its very difficult with the smaller parts. I soaked everything in CLR overnight, and wire-wheeled every part. Doing so gives the metal a nice luster that shines through the plating.

Don't bother with itemizing everything in zip locks, as you'll get everything back in one big box. I wrote every fastener down by size/length/thread pitch/qty and transferred that over to an Excel sheet for easy tracking.

Z5.JPG

Z4.JPG

Z1.JPG

Would you like to post your spreadsheet?

I know you were asking CW240Z72, but I will post my Excel spreadsheet for sure.  It just isn't "finished" yet.  So, I made that Google version which anyone should be able to access in the link I provided if they have Google account.  The link can be shared with anyone.  If it helps, I can upload an Excel sheet, but again, it is not complete and will need to be updated and then reuploaded with each round of changes/updates.  The Google version at that link will update whenever I make changes to it.  When it is "done" I will certainly upload an Excel version for those who want to consume it that way.

I have all my zip lock bags which are labeled with where they belong (they are currently empty 🙂).  When I get the hardware back from the plater, I will fill the bags with the correct hardware, and during that process, I will take photos.  I'll attempt to find a way to associate those photos to the entries in the Google sheet, so it is easy to find the hardware info, and easy to click to see picture(s) of those as well.

Edited by inline6
  • Like 1