IGNORED

Putting in a replacement L-28

Av8ferg

Zup, glad I’m helping where I can.  I couldn’t complete this “return to the road restoration” without the fine folks on this forum.  I’m indebted to many of you.  Also I’ve made some friends here and that’s keeps me motivated to keep pushing to get this car back on the road.  Lots of set backs, wait times for parts and repairs.  But I try to not let it get to me.  Example: I just called the paint shop about my Air Dam . They’ve had it almost 4 weeks.   The guy told me the painter age 32 died during the last ice storm when he slipped and ruptured his spleen.  Terrible news and a sad loss of life.  How can I be frustrated, with that.  His name was Andy.   Just got to take all the set backs in stride.   The goal is ZCON and I’m not sure what will be the limiting factor….my car or my wife 🤨

Today I’ve pulled the dash apart to install the new Vintage Dash.   I had some rust areas on the frame and I couldn’t stomach putting a new dash over a slightly rusty frame .  So I Sanded, primed and painted it.  Now I hope I remember how this all goes back together.  My old dash literally split in half on removal.

957226EE-5211-4DD7-9C38-C13937176DAF.jpeg

49772778-3E21-4223-BC0F-67146C2DB1EC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1

John, since you purchased your dash recently, can you share what the final cost was...

The 240 dashes are now at least $1325 with shipping and a 5 or 6 month wait time.   At the new price, it puts Just Dashes back in the picture.  Maybe the 280 dashes are still lower, hopefully and there is inventory.

Jim, so I had been communicating with Ivan at Vintage Dashes for some time. What put me off was the need for a full payment and then 3-6 month wait . I just felt it was ripe for a bad outcome. I don’t like paying up front for long wait back order items, or services to be rendered in the future. I’ve been burned before. I sent Ivan a message again two weeks ago and he said he has 2 “blem” 280z dashes. Sent me videos and pic and the minor blem was under the metal finisher. Honestly I can’t ever tell it’s there. I paid $1100 and paid for shipping using my company discount.
I think the dash looks a great BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks John, I installed one 18 months ago in a 75 280z.  All new Speedhut instruments as well.  Was very impressed with the quality of the dash which at the time I believe was in the $900 range.

Inflation is upon us and in my opinion it’s not going away soon. I think the Fed got spooked when they saw back to back months of inflation at ~7%. Sitting on the sidelines to buy something is going to cost you. I knew I had to do it now. I’m happy with the product too. A couple minor install issues with screw alignment but nothing insurmountable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Cliff, I guess I meant inflation above the Fed target 1.8%-2%.
Some things do get cheaper though. Most electronics tend to get cheaper and better. Imagine the price you paid for a computer or TV 15 years ago compared to what your get today.
We have the triple whammy happening right now.
1. Covid
2. Monetary policy (QE and Interest rates). The Fed has printed 26% of all dollars in existence (M2) since 2020. Last time they did that it was to defeat the Nazis in 1942
3. Energy Costs
I lived in Jackson, MS during Katrina. I learned many good lessons during that event.

AV8, let me know how the glove box door fitment works out for you.

Dave I’m having trouble with the glove box. Things don’t seem to be lining up. It’s the last thing I have left to do on the dash.

• 2 weeks later...

Another big hurdle in my rear view mirror.  Finally sorted out the heater box, with the rebuilt valves and aftermarket retrofitted heater core.   This project set me back about 6 weeks with work, waiting or parts and general figment challenges.  Special thanks to Captain Obvious who swooped in to help me cross the finish line.   All the hoses were bought at Auto Zone.   Walked in to the back with the heater box and valves attached and found hoses that worked.  These hoses weren’t cheap.  2 were around $27 each.   This project has held up the interior completion to include dash install.  Check it out.   If anyone does this core mod and needs the hose part numbers let me know.  Happy to share those.  

1AA832C7-D3D0-4077-A1DB-485FB2AE641D.jpeg

1BAECF81-5C94-42AC-9C6D-B6F4761B4204.jpeg

B0A9176D-9DA8-4EE4-89AA-1571ED9E1CA5.jpeg

E003EA34-23E4-4981-B302-DCE28FC9006E.jpeg

446A156B-7CA9-454B-BE21-C99312C05C97.jpeg

• Like 3