IGNORED

CLutch Kit

Wally

decided to just rebuild my engine. have a machine shop guy i know who is helping me out for decent price. I took engine and tranny apart. I am wondering if i should buy a clutch kit. Nothing looks bad to me but i dont really know what to look for either.. any thoughts. is it worth 200bucks to do?

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

Looking at the pics it looks like the clutch disc lining is worn down to the tops of the rivets. I see what I think is a few shiny rivets. If it's down to polishing the rivets, it's time to replace it along with the release bearing and pilot bushing. And, "as long as you're in there" having the flywheel resurfaced or even lightened.

• Like 3

Looks like one of the "tall" 240Z pressure plates.  If you don't get another tall one you'll need a different throwout bearing sleeve/collar and maybe a different slave cylinder.  People have problems with the early 240Z stuff.  Beware.

zKars posted a link to a place that sells tall pressure plates in one of his past threads.

I can't imagine not replacing all the clutch parts, including the slave cyl. and the pilot shaft bushing while you are in there.  I always buy a "clutch kit" so that it all works together as it should. Mixing parts from different models/years can get you in trouble. Lot's of info here about what to avoid. 

• Like 1

To add my two cents: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my Fidanza flywheel and exedy clutch! I think they do a great package on eBay but just check you are getting the right one for your car ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-06029-w-FIDANZA-FLYWHEEL-for-70-75-DATSUN-240Z-260Z-2-4L-2-6L-/324528069103?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

And I have to echo the sentiments - replace all the bits that wear out and you’ve done it once!! Having said that, I didn’t replace my slave cylinder as I preferred the original part to the new one I had bought! Somehow it felt better built.

We’re no longer allowed to say “salve” cyl are we? What is the new correct phrase?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AK260 said:

We’re no longer allowed to say “salve” cyl are we? What is the new correct phrase?

To me it will always be master and slave.

But for the overly sensitive types, perhaps primary and secondary, or actuator and actuatee, or . . . . . .

. . . . . nah, screw it. The thing that forces the fluid is the master, the thing that responds to the fluid pressure the slave.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2021 at 5:26 PM, Wally said:

decided to just rebuild my engine. have a machine shop guy i know who is helping me out for decent price. I took engine and tranny apart. I am wondering if i should buy a clutch kit. Nothing looks bad to me but i dont really know what to look for either.. any thoughts. is it worth 200bucks to do?

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

I agree with the other guys, new clutch disc and cover, throw out bearing and pilot shaft bushing, resurface the flywheel.

Also, the machine shop that balances the rotating assembly should also include the flywheel and clutch cover, and the vibration damper/crank pulley when balancing everything, and mark the flywheel/clutch cover and crank hub so it can all be reassembled in the orientation it was in when balanced.

• Like 1

To me it will always be master and slave.
But for the overly sensitive types, perhaps primary and secondary, or actuator and actuatee, or . . . . . .

. . . . . nah, screw it. The thing that forces the fluid is the master, the thing that responds to the fluid pressure the slave.

You cracked me up! I had the exact same conversation in my head too!!! I figured “secondary” would just cause confusion ;)

Maybe top dog and underdog!?
  • Haha 1

@AK260 @Racer X

this has been a topic in computing for a while see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)

We stopped using ‘master’ to denote our ‘development’ software. We use ‘develop’ now to indicate that it’s the primary branch. 
We also stopped using blacklist/whitelist. Instead we use inclusion-list, exclusion-list. Which is more straightforward and explicit in the name.

I personally use primary/secondary to denote the hierarchy of coupled devices.

ah yes clutches, I have a thread here for part references for the setup that AK is talking about, I’m still buttoning up the car, so I don’t know how it feels. 

• Like 1