IGNORED

Towing WITH your Z

DC871F

11 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Matchbox TP-21 Datsun & Motorcycle Trailer met. blue mint rare french  blister | eBay

RDTW Collectables Official Dealer of Diecast Cars and Trucks Tullytown Pa  #1 Hobby Shop: M2 Machines DATSUN - Auto-Trucks 1.64 scale Release  32500-S75 - HOBBY EXCLUSIVE - 1978 Datsun Tow Tr

Ok, thats hilarious. I have the z and the motorcycle matchbox in my closet somewhere. I want to say its a 260z 2+2 right hand drive.

I lived in Japan in the early mid 70s being my dad was Navy, and have plenty of old Japanese toys still somewhere in boxes.

Edited by DC871F

This is what I had on my 240Z.  Bolted to the bumper mounting locations.  Main bar is 2"x2" and 1/4" thick, weighs a lot.   Used to tow a 4x8 trailer rated for 1000 lbs. 

I also used it as part of my rotisserie, that's what the parts welded to the top of the bar are.  With slight trimming the bumper fit over this, leaving just the hitch and the shorter 2" bar in the center visible.

DSCN2349.JPG

Edited by jwtaylor
spelling

5 minutes ago, jwtaylor said:

This is what I had on my 240Z.  Bolted to the bumper mounting locations.  Main bar is 2"x2" and 1/4" thick, weighs a lot.   Used to tow a 4x8 trailer rated for 1000 lbs. 

I also used it as part of my rotisserie, that's what the parts welded to the top of the bar are.  With slight trimming the bumper fit over this, leaving just the hitch and the shorter 2" bar in the center visible.

DSCN2349.JPG

How did the 240 pull? Did you have the 4 speed in it?

28 minutes ago, jwtaylor said:

I had 4 speed then switched to the 81 5 speed.  Both seamed to to be fine.  I never fully load the trailer to 1000 lbs, may of had around 750 lbs a few times.  Braking distance defiantly was longer so use caution .

Great thanks. I'm doing a rotisserie restoration, so maybe bigger and better brakes when I get to that phase.

18 hours ago, DC871F said:

So did the bumper mount over that horizontal bar to cover it?

Yes it did!..  But the hitch had also 2 tubes of 1 1/4 " steel tubing going to the floor just in front of the fueltank and was bolted with 2 12mm bolts to the floor of the 240z.  These pieces of steel tubing were going under the tank, not over the tank. They had a sort of Y shape, the lower part beiing the hitch.  

I would not use a hitch that only connects on the bumper bolts on the back..  you need also the two tubes going to the front..  The one on my pics did have that, only not visible. I looked for pics of the demontaged hitch.. none found sadly.

6 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Yes it did!..  But the hitch had also 2 tubes of 1 1/4 " steel tubing going to the floor just in front of the fueltank and was bolted with 2 12mm bolts to the floor of the 240z.  These pieces of steel tubing were going under the tank, not over the tank. They had a sort of Y shape, the lower part beiing the hitch.  

I would not use a hitch that only connects on the bumper bolts on the back..  you need also the two tubes going to the front..  The one on my pics did have that, only not visible. I looked for pics of the demontaged hitch.. none found sadly.

Thanks.

It went under the fuel tank then down the rear valance, and then it came out onto the horizontal tube to the bumper mounts? Pretty strong.