IGNORED

Towing WITH your Z

DC871F

Years ago I had a tow hitch on my ZX, so when Dad decided he had enough of me sleeping till noon the first summer out of high school, and not really having any direction, Dad decided (kicked out gently) it was time I got educated, and I went off to A&P school to be an airplane mechanic.

So me and my 81ZX with a Uhaul trailer headed down the road.

So, my question is, since that was over 25 years ago, and I'm sure I dont remember how it really towed, has anyone been towing with their Z? I also believe it was the dual axle trailer as well, because I brought a couch.

I want to install a hitch system on my 240z I'm restoring for a teardrop camper. Does anyone have any experience doing anything like this? ZX being the slightly bigger car, I'm not really sure on what a 240 will do, if anything for towing. 

PS, I have the Borg Warner 5 speed I'm putting in the 240, along with a slightly bored out 2.4.

Edited by DC871F

I sold once a trailer hitch for a 240z, it had a beam from left to right (going to the main beams?) ...  were the bumper attaches? (laying inside the bumper outside the car.) And two brackets that went to the floor just in front of the gas tank, they were made of 1  1/4 a 1 1/2 inch tubing going under and round the gastank.. it was a original BRINK  (a maker of trailer hitches , i believe a Dutch.. made in Holland brand..?).

I've never had one for 280zx but i've seen one that only had a beam accross and went to the hooks under the bumper? i don't think that is very strong? On the other hand.. if you can pull a car with one hook.. two might be strong enough for a trailer hitch? 🙂

Edited by dutchzcarguy

I just brought home a 71 Z that had a tow package attached.

it consisted of a 3/4 x 3” thick tow bar that attached at two points. The front was bolted through the spare tire well via a cross bar and two 7/16” stove bolts, and the rear was hung from the rear bumper with a 5/16 bolt. Yup, nice long bolt, straight through. Ouch

This is the only picture I have handy. You can’t see the big a$$ bar that runs under the spare tire well. It looks to be made for the car, the bar is bent in very specific places to fit tightly against the bottom.

I have removed the bar from the car. It’s in the recycle bin at the moment.

F949A664-5F1C-4763-8B04-71D70D2E6BFA.jpeg

Edited by zKars

So... done a lot of searching and found at last a picture (paper one..!) from a 1972 240z of mine out of 1991!  It shows how the hitch was attached  ... more or less..

20201122_153837.jpg

Closer look...

20201122_153902.jpg

It was a orig. BRINK hitch and the nominal weight for it was 50 kg down on it and 900 kg max trailer weight.. as far i remember..  This was my first 240z and was to rusty to repair.

1 hour ago, dutchzcarguy said:

So... done a lot of searching and found at last a picture (paper one..!) from a 1972 240z of mine out of 1991!  It shows how the hitch was attached  ... more or less..

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e3750d425d330ce520201122_153837.jpg

Closer look...

20201122_153902.jpg

It was a orig. BRINK hitch and the nominal weight for it was 50 kg down on it and 900 kg max trailer weight.. as far i remember..  This was my first 240z and was to rusty to repair.

So did the bumper mount over that horizontal bar to cover it?

Awesome pics.

1 hour ago, zKars said:

I just brought home a 71 Z that had a tow package attached.

it consisted of a 3/4 x 3” thick tow bar that attached at two points. The front was bolted through the spare tire well via a cross bar and two 7/16” stove bolts, and the rear was hung from the rear bumper with a 5/16 bolt. Yup, nice long bolt, straight through. Ouch

This is the only picture I have handy. You can’t see the big a$$ bar that runs under the spare tire well. It looks to be made for the car, the bar is bent in very specific places to fit tightly against the bottom.

I have removed the bar from the car. It’s in the recycle bin at the moment.

F949A664-5F1C-4763-8B04-71D70D2E6BFA.jpeg

Not worth being saved?

The ZX with the plastic cover I certain didnt have that set up with the vertical bolt. Looks like the sheet metal got all jillywhacked because of it as well, a little too much flexing.

It cant be this easy, can it?

U-Haul: 1972 Nissan 240Z Rear Wheel Drive trailer hitch components

Hitch

Sportframe 1 1/4 inch Rec (Powder Coat)

• Class 1 hitch
  • Max weight: 2,000 lbs.
  • Manufacturer Part Number: UHI24953CH
  • Part number: UHI24953CH
  • Hitch image shown is for display purposes only and may not reflect the actual hitch for this vehicle.
  • Please note:
    U-Haul is the only known company with a hitch that will fit your vehicle. However, these trailer hitches are built as ordered, so please allow 6 - 8 weeks to complete the manufacturing process.
$179.95

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Quite possibly, yes

Just from looking at their pic, it seems it would work. Bolt the vertical supports on the square tube on either side of the spare tire well.

Whether a a hole needs to be cut in the rear valance is another question. I have been mentally preparing myself for that, came up with a plan to make a removable hatch on the rear valance.