IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

Another 73 is up for sale, but with very low miles.  Looks garage kept.  I wonder if the hoses, hydraulics, booster, and other parts will hold up long if somebody starts driving it again.  An odd dilemma - keep the original parts but don't drive it, or replace the parts and enjoy it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-datsun-240z-254/#comments

image.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Another 73 is up for sale, but with very low miles.  Looks garage kept.  I wonder if the hoses, hydraulics, booster, and other parts will hold up long if somebody starts driving it again.  An odd dilemma - keep the original parts but don't drive it, or replace the parts and enjoy it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-datsun-240z-254/#comments

image.png

Very clean car but shouldn't it have flat-tops?

I think that there's a long discussion on the forum somewhere about switching to round tops, and when it often happens.  Not sure.  I'm definitely not a carb guy.  The text says that they were rebuilt.

"Service in 2023 is said to have included rebuilding the carburetors, replacing the ignition switch and spark plug wires, flushing the fuel and cooling systems, and performing a valve adjustment and an oil change."

image.png

Posted (edited)

That white 1973 Z is a beauty. 

That's what I have, a white/red 73 that I've put refurbished paltech round top carbs in. I'm planning to sell it soon. Too much kids college tuition stacking up. Bought from the original owner 4 years ago.

Edited by Dadsun
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Zpenman said:

Very clean car but shouldn't it have flat-tops?

If one wanted to keep it perfectly "as it left the factory”;  yes it would have the Flat Tops. Back in 73/74 if one wanted to drive it in a more reliable fashion, they switched the Flat Top’s out for the SU’s as used on the 70-72 model years. 

To comply with the EPA Emission standards for 1973, Nissan had to redesign the original SU’s, the result was what we call the Flat Tops. They passed the emissions tests/standard, but the engines suffered from Percolation and/or Vapor Lock. In higher temp. area’s the cars would just die, or when shut off with a warm engine the cars would not restart until the engine was cold again.
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Carl Beck said:
If one wanted to keep it perfectly "as it left the factory”;  yes it would have the Flat Tops. Back in 73/74 if one wanted to drive it in a more reliable fashion, they switched the Flat Top’s out for the SU’s as used on the 70-72 model years. 

To comply with the EPA Emission standards for 1973, Nissan had to redesign the original SU’s, the result was what we call the Flat Tops. They passed the emissions tests/standard, but the engines suffered from Percolation and/or Vapor Lock. In higher temp. area’s the cars would just die, or when shut off with a warm engine the cars would not restart until the engine was cold again.

Flat tops, boat anchors. That's what the nomenclature on Z Therapy website is 

36 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I think @Captain Obvious conclusively proved that wrong.

That's the thread I was thinking of but I couldn't find it.  Unless the comments are in the one I linked.

My general impression has been that the vapor lock problems caused people to make changes.  And swapping to round tops from flat tops was a common change.  Going back to what was known.  Kind of like removing "emmissions junk", or going back to carbs from EFI.  The past always seems more comfortable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I think @Captain Obvious conclusively proved that wrong.

Not familiar with his work on them. I was to understand that there were no adjustments to get them tuned correctly. They either ran really good at operating temp, but suffered hard starting, or they ran terrible but was easy to start.

1 hour ago, DC871F said:

Not familiar with his work on them. I was to understand that there were no adjustments to get them tuned correctly. They either ran really good at operating temp, but suffered hard starting, or they ran terrible but was easy to start.

I'm not totally sure, but I think there are actually a bunch of adjustments available on flat tops which is what makes them hard to get tuned properly.