IGNORED

260z round top conversion: a couple questions

Cooper260z

Should I be keeping the anti backfire valve? I’m guessing it was on the 240z and they kept onto the 260z then maybe it served a good purpose. My problem though is the after market air filters I bought didn’t come with one of those plastic elbow ports that they usually come with so I’m not sure how to hook it up. I plan on getting a 240 air filter housing but for the time being, can I remove the anti backfire valve or should it be kept at all costs?

Also as things are being learned, it’s starting to make more sense to change to the 240 balance tube also, for simplicity sake 

Yeah, I would keep the AB valve if you can. You could slap a little cone filter on the fresh air end just to keep the bugs and birds out. The ones that a lot of people put on their valve cover nipple? Something like that?

And yes, the 260 balance tube is much more complicated than the 240 version. If you're positive that you won't be running EGR then you can make things look a lot less basket of snake-ish by switching over.

Also, is the linkage for the 240z different then the 260z? I don’t have a good photo to show what I’m talking about at the moment, but on the balance there are two ears that a piece of linkage goes through, and on my l24 balance tube those two ears are much closer together so I’m not sure if my linkage will work with it 

02B091F8-FC84-4C57-A9F2-D348F019B533.jpeg

8 hours ago, Cooper260z said:

after market air filters I bought didn’t come with one of those plastic elbow ports that they usually come with

No idea what your talking about..

8 hours ago, Cooper260z said:

remove the anti backfire valve or should it be kept at all costs

Keep it, it's there for good reason..

9 hours ago, Cooper260z said:

Also, is the linkage for the 240z different then the 260z? I don’t have a good photo to show what I’m talking about at the moment, but on the balance there are two ears that a piece of linkage goes through, and on my l24 balance tube those two ears are much closer together so I’m not sure if my linkage will work with it 

Yes, the linkages are different. Remember back on page 1:

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:08 PM, Captain Obvious said:

And one tricky bit that you haven't hit yet will be the throttle linkage... The piece between the flat tops is shorter than the one used between the round tops. So for that reason, when you replace the flats with rounds, you'll find that center linkage piece to be a little bit too short. So keep your eyes open for some round top linkage pieces.

And about the anti-backfire valve... It's got three connections:

1 - High vacuum from the balance tube side
2 - No vacuum from the air cleaner side
3 - Control line to open the valve when the intake manifold vacuum goes high enough

The connection that you put the little air filter on is the no vacuum fresh air side. The other two ports connect to vacuum sources. Does that make sense?

Seems like it hasn’t been that long but I swear I’ve made progress since the last post. 

My l24 heat shield is running into the crankcase vent, preventing it from lining up with the mounting holes. Is there a popular solution other then cutting the shield? Because that’s what I’m seeing as an obvious “fix” I don’t have a problem with cutting it but if I don’t have to then then it would be nice to keep it whole 

• 2 weeks later...

The carbs are on and most things are hooked up but I’m having a pretty sizable issue. 
The car will only run at 2000/4000 rpm and 200 rpm... nowhere in between 

When it’s running between 2-4000 it runs well and throttle response is crisp. 
When it runs at 200 rpm, the throttle mostly just chokes the system. 
Also the engine will seemingly just randomly shoot up from 200 to 2000 rpm. 

These carbs could be bad and in need of a proper rebuild, that’s entirely possible, but I really don’t much about the SUs so I’m not sure and I dont have the budget for the rebuild right now so I’m seeing if this problem can be fixed.

Here is what I’ve done in an attempt to fix the issue as well as notes on the situation: 

I’ve moved the mixture nuts around and that seems to be a good way to get it to idle at 2000+ (turning the nut to richen the mix) but it can also jump to high rpm when the nuts are only around three turn out. 
The choke cables are currently disconnected because I found that I need a piece to affix the cable to these carbs, but I can manually manipulate the choke to get it to idle a bit better but still not great.

The pistons in the carbs move up and down as I’ve read they should, with the 20wt oil they’re a bit harder to push up and slowly fall back to the bottom.

One of the needles was a bit bent but I was able to straighten a bit by using the technique in the ztherapy video.

I do have at least one confirmed vacuum leak and am not ruling out that I could have more. 

I’m guessing the sudden jump in rpm is one or both pistons rapidly going up?

Im also getting a lot of backfires out of the carbs when it’s running at low rpm

And here’s a picture of what the engine bay currently looks like, still very much a work in progress I know things aren’t prefect but please point out anything that could be an immediate issue 

Im actively researching trying to find information on a situation like this but I figure while I search might as well see if anyone can help me out. Thanks again to everyone that’s helped so far!

37839197-ACBA-4D9A-B35E-58EFFCA1E0A7.jpeg

Edited by Cooper260z

Did the car run reasonably well with the flat tops on it? First thing would be to make sure it's a decent running motor in the first place.

Start by getting rid of the vacuum leaks. Just to test things, you can cap off the entire anti-backfire system. You can also pull and plate off the EGR just in case it is sticking open a little.

Other things maybe? You've got a rubber vacuum line connected to the front manifold right behind the carb. This is the line that splits and goes to your throttle opener and AB valve. Well there's another nipple (broken off) right next to that one. What's up with that? Is that a leak?

And the throttle linkage doesn't look quite right to me. The stop up by the EGR valve is nowhere near making contact. And the connection nut on the rear carb looks like it's bent and/or loose? Is that an attempt to mitigate the "too short" linkage piece between the two carbs?