IGNORED

Z Proto: The next z reveal

AZDatsun

4 hours ago, DC871F said:

It looks too much like an S30, or 280ZX, not saying thats a bad thing, but I think auto makers and corporation as a whole try to always modernize their product. Making something thats almost a replica of something in their past may seem a bit hackish. They would get just as much pushback on that design as they do on the real one.

But I'm no marketing expert, I'm just a user.

The folks who produced the VW new Beetle, current Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, Ford Mustang, and Chevrolet Camaro might tend to disagree.

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

40 minutes ago, psdenno said:

The folks who produced the VW new Beetle, current Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, Ford Mustang, and Chevrolet Camaro might tend to disagree.

My opinion exactly……Nissan has never really recovered their loyal followers after the S30 body style went out. The 240Z draws huge attention from the younger set at all Cars and Coffee events I go to. It worked for Ford and Chrysler and Chevy…..why not bring back the excitement of something that memics the car that put Nissan (Datsun) on the map…….and I’d call it a Datsun Proto……that would really bring em back!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, reefedjib said:

But Datsun 2022 would do well to use a higher quality carbonized steel in the frame. A carbon fiber body would be fine, but a good steel frame is a must!

I would argue that the steel used was excellent.  Just look at how well the blocks hold cross hatching. The problem with the early cars wasn't the steel, it was the complete absense of any rust prevention. They didn't start galvanizing bodies until 78 or so???

A modern car would get a full passivating dip, so thats not a problem.  Also modern cars use a wide range of exotic alloys to make them light but pass crash test. So not a significant issue. Also most modern cars are mono coupes, no frames anymore...

Edited by Patcon
  • Like 1

The Japanese steel was very good and the cross hatching in the cylinder bores is still visible after years of driving.  Even on high mileage cars.

I have found rust up high inside of the quarter panels and it is just from humidity.  Cars from ocean communities can be be really rusty in the worst way from the salty air getting inside all the body cavities.

I would think, the ideal way to do a proper rust treatment. Would be to find somebody to dip the car to remove all the rust but they would need to dip it when clean for a rust prevention.  Passivating, galavanizing, zinc dip or zinc rich primer. I know people that offer stripper dip tank services but finding the second part might be th he problem

• Thanks 1

The Rebello would be 7.07#s per horse

The proto 8.75#s per horse.

There are some missing pieces though. Modern suspension of the Proto would be a plus but there are aftermarket options that are competitive

ABS is nice but I grew up without it and wouldn't miss it.

The S30 is lighter and would be much more "tossable" if the contact patch was similar

Might need some good brake upgrades

The modern car would have some nice things built in: bluetooth, heated seats, leather, delay wipe, power mirrors and windows.

All of which could be overcome

My choice would be the S30...

But I'm biased 😉

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, reefedjib said:

I just used my physics background to figure horses per pound is what determines the ability to accelerate, for which there is no limit,

Actually (in the real world) what probably limits the ability to accelerate your Z is the ability to get that power to the road. 

Nice equations.  I'm hot.    :geek:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

@reefedjib

Read through your posts with interest regarding the calculations for your "future build". You got @Captain Obvious attention. Nice work.

You mention Dave Rebello  and calcs that feature a 3.2 liter with triples several times.

As a possible alternative, I would suggest you contact the Honorable  Eiji Hosami at Datsun Spirit in Manassas, Virginia and discuss your plans. With you being in N. C. he would be a much closer build partner. If anyone can achieve the results expected from these figures, he would be it.

Here's a teaser :

http://datsunspirit.net/spl-series/

Peruse his website-----you'll like it!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1