IGNORED

What's the most needed Z part that's currently NLA?

Namerow

19 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Horn pad mount, the hard plastic on the backside of the black pad.  I have mine jimmy rigged but it still falls off.  MSA sales the pad itself but not the locking ring.

From https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic08d18/40-3140

Description
This is the genuine, original equipment (OEM) replacement horn pad. The outer ring and word "Datsun" are chrome and the background is satin black. This is the pad only and does not include the plastic ring that holds the pad in place.

Check with @nix240z He makes these...

https://www.240zrubberparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/4432194

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:41 AM, Namerow said:

I thought that our CZCC members might like to contribute their thoughts here.  Who knows?  We might inspire someone out there to start making some of these items.

My nomination would be:

Differential Mount Insulator for the early-design cars with angled rear halfshafts (Nissan PN 55415 E4102)

This part was used up until 71-06, so it was installed on about 30,000 Z's.  If 5% of those cars are still in running or restorable condition, that would mean there's a ready market for perhaps 1,000 of these early-style diff mounts.  To the best of my knowledge, there's no way that any of the later-style mounts can be modified to fit.  Typical owner solutions seem to be either:

• replace all of the diff carrier pieces with conveniently-available, newer-design parts (expensive, and not correct for a proper restoration)

• ignore it and pretend that running with a worn-out original mount isn't a problem

Given that the metal parts are usually quite salvageable, perhaps all that's required to restore the mount is for someone to reproduce the rubber core.  With a new core, it would be a fairly simple matter to burn out the worn-out original, clean up the metal, and then glue a new core (should be fine, given that the bonding area is big and the joint wouldn't experience any shear loads -- just compression/tension).

image.png

image.png  Early-style mount on the bottom    image.png Early-style mount on the right

S30 Differential - Front Mount Insulator - OE - 240Z early a.jpg
(apologies for not being able to provide photo credits)

dasani300x250.jpg

I have a NOS diff mount with the early part number quoted but it does not look like the one identified in the visuals shown above.  Did you happen to label visuals 2 and 3 of 4 incorrectly?  This is what i have (see below)

diff mount 2.jpg

diff mount1.jpg

Edited by colinc

22 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Don't know if i have the newer part or the older correct ( for my car 2-72) part.. 

EDIT: this should be  "my 2-'71 car!!!  sorry!

Sleepy head was the problem i think..  btw i have now sinds 2007 a Original Dutch 240z differential and 5 speed gearbox in my 240z..  and i believe i used the same diff mount then.. not sure..  (5 speed gearbox: FS5C71B and uses a 1:3,9 gear diff.)

13 hours ago, colinc said:

Did you happen to label visuals 2 and 3 of 4 incorrectly? 

Thanks for spotting this.  You're right.  I've gone back and edited the captions for photos #2 and #3.  The early-design mount is identified by the non-rectangular shape of its outer plate.  Sorry for the mix-up.

On 4/19/2020 at 12:08 PM, Namerow said:

According to my notes, here's what needs to be replaced in order to 'fix' things so that the newer-style mount can be used:

·         Diff Front Crossmember

·         Diff Arrester Belt Brackets (lhs & rhs), bolts, and sleeves  (the design of the belt itself was not changed)

·         Moustache Bar

·         Suspension Lower Transverse Crossmember (new design was dished and bowed outwards towards the rear so as to clear the rear of the diff case)

·         Driveshaft (the S2 driveshaft is 20mm longer)

·         Moustache Bar Rubber Bushings, sleeves & hardware (might not be mandatory, but the PN’s certainly changed)

From all I've read, you only need to change the mustache bar and lower transverse crossmember to use the later style diff mount.  This seems somewhat consistent with the microfiche data, which shows that the diff front crossmember, mustache bar, and diff mount changes in 7/71, but the driveshaft doesn't change until 9/71 (which is coincident with the change to the "B"-series transmission).  Not sure what the change is from diff front crossmember 55411-E4100 to 55411-E8300, but maybe it didn't change in ways that matter as far as the diff mount goes.  MSA also seems to agree with this change set, FWIW.

In any case, I will eventually be testing this as my 5/71 rear suspension is currently set up with the original diff front crossmember and driveshaft, but later diff mount, later mustache bar, and later lower transverse crossmember.  "Original" with respect to the diff front crossmember and driveshaft is assumed, as anything could have been changed in the 20 years before I took ownership of the car, but the other rear suspension pieces that came off the car are all obviously series 1.  The rear suspension is still sitting on a rolling cart, so maybe I'll find incompatibilities when I eventually install it back into the chassis.  I have all the original pieces, so I can revert if necessary, and the original series 1 diff mount looks pretty good.  I just figured I'd replace anything with 50-year-old rubber.  I'm sure there are others in the group with more knowledge in this area, so I'll stand corrected if any of my assertions are incorrect.

8 hours ago, Mike said:

Oh this is a good one!!!!  Very nice topic.  Here are mine, at least for the '71 model:

1. Dashboard
  2. Center Console
  3. Fuse cover with ashtray with flip lid

Not stock, but one more:

• Nismo fuel pump bracket mount

Vintage Dashes makes an entirely new 240z dashboard, do you need more info?

Summary of what we've heard so far...

Part

Category

Suggested by

Suggester’s Comments

Diff Front Mount (insulator) – ‘early’ type (PN 55415 E4102)

Drivetrain

Namerow

No convenient workarounds that preserve originality of ‘early’ driveline layout.

Hatch Glass

Glass

S30Driver

Getting difficult to find in acceptable to pristine condition.

Side Window Glass

Glass

S30Driver

Getting difficult to find in acceptable to pristine condition.

Carpet underlay pieces, cut-to-shape from OE-spec jute material

Floor Coverings

Gav240z

Correct material not readily available and not pre-cut

Sound deadener pieces
(cabin side of firewall)

Floor Coverings

Gav240z

Correct material not readily available and not pre-cut

Carpets in correct, loop-style

Floor Coverings

Gav240z

Carpets in correct material not readily available

Rear quarter panels

Body Panels

Gav240z

Closest available is Tabco’s partial  patch panel

Roof panel

Body Panels

Gav240z

Required to fix cars cut for sunroof. Re-pop panel not available.

Rear valence panel
(aka rear ‘apron’ / ‘roll’ panel)

Body Panels

Gav240z

Available re-pops fit OK but are not accurate in certain details.

Ashtray – ‘early’ type

Interior

Gav240z

‘fragile’

Center console – ‘early’ type

Interior

Mike

Fuse box cover plate – ‘early’ type

Interior

Mike

‘Nismo’ fuel pump mounting bracket

Body Parts