IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

On 7/8/2021 at 1:36 PM, Mike said:

Here in WA, I'm starting to notice that stores are taking down their "mask required" signs and people are allowed inside without a mask.  It looks like employees are still wearing masks but this is a good sign things are starting to return to normal.  

@MikeThat's good to hear.

I'm guessing that the number of covid cases in WA has dropped off significantly and that has driven the relaxation of the restrictions?

It's kind of becoming background now but at least it's skewing more toward free will and choice.  Those who choose to take the risk pay a higher price.  Of course, though, they'll take some innocent people with them, just like speeding or driving drunk or smoking.  Things are getting more Darwinian.

image.png

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:32 PM, conedodger said:

Well… meanwhile, in the real world, I intubated two people in their 50’s earlier this week and they remain on the ventilator with Delta variant COVID 19. They were vaccinated.

They were vaccinated...   ouch

Yeah, I don't like it when volunteers come to my door either, but if they have a permit, it's the American way. No different than the Jehovah’s Witnesses, or Democrats trying to convince you to vote for their candidates, or Republicans trying to convince you to vote for their candidates, or a volunteer trying to talk you into donating blood.

This is nothing new. Volunteers in some locations have been going door to door to talk to people about getting a covid vaccine for months and months.

But that youtube video is not at all what I got from the speech in question. For anyone who didn't watch the speech, here's what Biden said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We are continuing to wind down the mass vaccination sites that did so much in the spring to rapidly vaccinate those eager to get their first shot, and their second shot for that matter, if they needed a second.

Now we need to go to community by community, neighborhood by neighborhood, and oft times door to door, literally knocking on doors to get help to the remaining people to protect them from the virus.

Look... Equity. Equality. It remains at the heart of our responsibility of insuring the communities that are the hardest hit by the virus have the information and the access to get vaccinated.

So... As we shift from these centralized mass vaccination sites where doing thousands of people a day, we're going to put even more emphasis on getting vaccinated in your community, close to home, conveniently, at a location you're already familiar with."

And then he detailed a five point plan to put more emphasis on making sure vaccines are available at: 1) 42000 local pharmacies, 2) Family doctors and healthcare providers, 3) Family doctors and other doctors that serve younger people, 4) At work, work sites, or at least providing paid time off to get the vaccine, 5) Mobile clinics for festivals, sporting events, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My takeaway from that speech is that the large mass vaccination sites are no longer seeing enough traffic to make them viable, and it's time to close them down in favor of shifting more emphasis to other smaller more neighborhood-centric locations instead.

The hope is that some people who felt apprehensive about going to the large facilities would feel more comfortable getting a vaccine from the trusted local neighborhood pharmacist  or doctor that they've been dealing with for years.

But because some people may not even know that trusted local neighborhood options are becoming increasingly available, we need to try harder to reach people wherever we can to get the word out.

I'm sure not everyone gets exactly the same thing out of it as I do, but that's my take.

On 7/14/2021 at 9:28 PM, Mike said:

Just a bit of humor in a pretty serious thread.

So @Mike , back to questioning everything... Did you watch Biden's speech for yourself, or are you just letting some guy on youtube tell you what your opinion is?

My take on that youtube video is that it's purposeful fear mongering falsely shrouded under a cloak of "humor". And as conedodger highlighted earlier, that kind of fear mongering isn't really helpful.

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

So @Mike , back to questioning everything... Did you watch Biden's speech for yourself, or are you just letting some guy on youtube tell you what your opinion is?

My take on that youtube video is that it's purposeful fear mongering falsely shrouded under a cloak of "humor". And as conedodger highlighted earlier, that kind of fear mongering isn't really helpful.

I get all my news from social media and the National Enquirer.   Are you guys bullying me?  I may have to report you to management.  😛

• Haha 1

Ok, I said I wouldn't get into the serious discussions around this topic because I am not a medical professional and I don't know how this virus or vaccine even works.  But I do have something to say based on the perception of what's going on in this thread. 

First, you seem to be putting most of the population into classifications of vaccinated vs unvaccinated.  While I get this is simple because of your media and internet research, I don't think it is fair to bash or ridicule those who have not vaccinated.  I truly believe this has serious social repercussions and has the potential to tear humanity apart.  This is just not something I want to be a part of, nor do I want that here in the club.

Second, we must also try to understand that some people simply cannot take the vaccine.  Are we going to throw exceptions to these people?  I mean, do they need to come to a car website and read about how much of a bad human they are just because they don't fit into the statistics we've all read on the CDC's website?  Do you think that's fair?

Lastly, I don't understand why everyone is so opinionated about this topic.  Health is a personal decision, much like your sex life.  I don't know anyone asking if you like anal sex...  and I don't really want to know.

• Like 1