IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

1 hour ago, zspert said:

I first have to give a shout out to my customers/friends Marc and Chris. About every two years or so I have to be reminded that my customers are The Greatest!  Thanks guys!

Sure wish I had saved the FIA papers I had to, as I remember,  send off to France for along with, as I recall, $50.00. That was a lot of money for a Datsun dealer mechanic back in 1971 who was spending every nickel he had to race that 70 240 in IMSA.

jason240z, thank you very much for cutting to the chase about 240guild and lsteppe. In one case you have a convicted fraudster and the other owns all the worthwhile Z cars on earth and is a gold plated diamond encrusted member of the Barrett-Jackson community who only drinks at the Pie-On-The-Sky Head-In-The-Clouds bar while at the auction. I had a run-in with the later character after he bad mouthed my business on the BAT comments section. Said he would never do business with me and strongly suggested no one in the community do business with me. He later called to apologize -  long after the damage was done -  but the apology lasted about 15 seconds followed by 3-4 minutes of his cars and what he's done to and with them.

Series 1, series2, series 1.5. We were taught to identify Datsuns by their production date.

Yes, That sound deadener was indeed on the floor, trans tunnel and rear deck of Zs. it was 2 different thicknesses and up until about 2 years ago was still available from Nissan US in both thicknesses. May still be available, I haven't needed any for that long. 

I'll give you, sorry but you don't have a choice and it ain't all pretty, my take on Mr. K and Nissan/Datsun in the US in the early days another time but just now I have some zinc to sort.     Cheers and I hope everyone has a safe weekend

IMG_2328.JPG

Hello Mike, I ordered the sound deadener from Nissan, close to use it now. Will look at the thickness, I was not aware I could order it in 2 variants!   

Never looked at the battery hold down, but are you sure they are yellow?

On 1/31/2020 at 4:58 PM, HS30-H said:

Taking the implications of your first sentence to its logical conclusion, each North American dealer had their own version of the '240Z'. This is, of course, nonsense.

I like your "same power" for the L24 vs S20. If you honestly think the retarded-timing, anti smog-equipped L24 in the HLS30U was kicking out the same as the S20 then - as we say over here - I have a bridge to sell you

It would be fun to have a theoretical race. Lets pick a race track with some corners rather than a drag strip. How about the old Watkins Glen? Or maybe Suzuka? You can have a 1970-spec HLS30U (complete with smog pump, 4-speed trans, 3.36:1 open diff, Amco towel rail bumper add-ons and rear window louvers) and I'll choose a 1970-spec PS30 (I could have chosen a PS30-SB, but I'll be nice) with its close ratio 5-speed Servo-synchro trans and 4.44:1 LSD. No gew-gaws on the 432 as - buying in Japan - the buyer gets to spec the car rather than the dealer. Lets race...

Now I don't claim to be a race car driver, but I've had lessons. Hopefully I was paying attention. Don't know your pedigree, but I'm willing to bet there's a good chance that I'll lap the track faster and smoother than you will. Because its all about the PS30 package.

You think different?   

He's talking about factory rated crankshaft output, NOT gear ratios, diff ratio's and track times that affect this

By the way the L24 is rated 110kw and the S20 119kw

41 minutes ago, christoffel said:

The car is like new and has first paint!  What is milage? ALso first paint?

Mine has around 75,000 by now and has the original paint and interior.  I have those same 240Z Amco floor mats as you have. B)

Check out how different the paint looks in different lighting, it looks like a different car but it's the same one!

DSC01654.JPG

image.png

DSC00912.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HS30-H said:

THIS!

Market, variant and production date will usually get us where we need to be.  

I agree for sure.... but I did see some early Nissan document that shows "Series 1" on one of the inner title pages so Series 2/3/ Ad nauseam may stem from that.

As the TSB's show, the whole production path was towards improvements or required changes as needed or as convenient. Your few descriptors are perfect.