IGNORED

L28 full rebuild assembly

Av8ferg

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

Yea, $250 and they pull it and put it in my SUV. Hub caps are a bonus. A set of 4 just sold on EBay for $2,100.

9a9a3762fdea49eb0e007d06279a49f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a solid deal!!!! You'll owe Cliff a run around in your snake one day...

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

Yea, $250 and they pull it and put it in my SUV. Hub caps are a bonus. A set of 4 just sold on EBay for $2,100.

Interesting....... I recently bought a full L24 motor and auto trans for $30 and the seller threw in two D caps with that deal as well (rusty but decent)

I picked up a windshield, 2 hatch, and 3 door glass pieces from the same guy for another $20 and a new Mustang gas tank with a custom mount for a Z for another $15

You just have to keep an eye out for stuff and be ready to pounce. Not trying to brag but just saying there are deals out there. 

Those eBay caps started at $20, the seller claimed to have found them in a house he bought. I bet he was happy!

Cliff, I’m gonna take care of you. 

Okay, I need to call the yard on Monday to get them to pull the tranny so I can grab after getting back from Panama,   I told him to find the lowest mileage 280zx 81-83.  So it sounds like a diff swap might be a good idea too.  They have a bunch of 300zx’s too.  So from my research the R200 on the 81-83 280zx has a diff ration of 3.90. My diff on my 77 is 3.545 and the 300zx is 3.70.  So, as a street car what’s the ideal combination.   Keeping my 3.545 differential probably isn’t getting the best bang out of the ZX tranny,  so what’s the general consensus on the best combo?  I’ve read both the 300zx and 280zx differentials require no mods for my 77.   I’ve also read about the elusive unicorn LSD from a 300zx, unobtainable so not an option.  I guess the 3.90 would get better 1st gear pull over the 3.70 but also higher RPM at cruise.  

A 3.9 will match the first gear ratio on an 81-83 5 speed.  The 80 5 speed might have the .773 overdrive which makes 5th feel like it belongs right after 4th, instead of being way out there.

Just complicating your decision...

3.9 x 3.062 = 11.94

3.54 x 3.321 = 11.75

3 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

No way. We're buddies and I'm just messing around. I can't wait to shake your hand at Zcon.  Maybe we do an elbow bump? I hope this mess is a bad memory by then.

Anyhow, sale those caps and show the wife what's going on.

Cliff 

Thanks Cliff, looking forward to the elbow bump followed by a tray of beers.   I’m not sure how this thing will shake out but think it should settle over the summer, and come back with a vengeance in the fall much like the Spanish flu in 1918...unless we get a vaccine.  Right now the only treatment that has been successful is a malaria drug called chloroquine.  It is an ionphore that allows for increased intercellular zinc. Elevated Intercellular zinc interrupts RNA polymerase (RNAP), Covid-19 hijacks the RNAP and replicates itself.  Here is some of the latest info,  

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTi-

g18ftNZUMRAj2SwRPodtscFio7bJ7GdNgbJAGbdfF67WuRJB3ZsidgpidB2eocFHAVjIL-7deJ7/pub

BTW,  the wife was happy to hear that I might be able to fund part of my Z addiction.  She’s finally getting it.

• Like 1

I would recommend you just put in the trans with the existing diff, try it. if you are unhappy then you can go with a lower diff. I wanted to be able to cruise all day at 80 with a low rpm as long as the engine was not struggling. This was so I could make my long distance (pikes peak) trip. Truth is the engine in stock form is so forgiving it does not really matter. I have to remember to put it in 5th for 80 since the sound is not objectionable either 3K or 4k RPM. May have a lot to do with the exhaust note, The stock setup is very quiet with no resonance to deal with. If you have an aftermarket setup perhaps there are RPMs that could drive you batty with 12-14hr drives.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

A 3.9 will match the first gear ratio on an 81-83 5 speed.  The 80 5 speed might have the .773 overdrive which makes 5th feel like it belongs right after 4th, instead of being way out there.

Just complicating your decision...

3.9 x 3.062 = 11.94

3.54 x 3.321 = 11.75

Thanks Dave.  This makes sense, Nissan married the 3.9 with the later 5 speed for a reason.  No reason to reinvent the wheel.  

19 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

I would recommend you just put in the trans with the existing diff, try it. if you are unhappy then you can go with a lower diff. I wanted to be able to cruise all day at 80 with a low rpm as long as the engine was not struggling. This was so I could make my long distance (pikes peak) trip. Truth is the engine in stock form is so forgiving it does not really matter. I have to remember to put it in 5th for 80 since the sound is not objectionable either 3K or 4k RPM. May have a lot to do with the exhaust note, The stock setup is very quiet with no resonance to deal with. If you have an aftermarket setup perhaps there are RPMs that could drive you batty with 12-14hr drives.

Thanks Dave.  This makes sense, Nissan married the 3.9 with the later 5 speed for a reason.  No reason to reinvent the wheel.   I forgot to ask.  Is the Differential different between the 2 and 4 seater on the ZX.  They are coming up differently when I’m searching for the part online. 

Edited by Av8ferg