IGNORED

"Brand new" 280Z

brunodoggy

2 hours ago, brunodoggy said:

Good question. The Original owner told me he would change the oil and filter every year - at least for the early years. At some point he just quit doing that.

That's odd, why would you do that ? Oil doesn't expire.. 

Anyhow the 350 mile looks correct looking at the other parts. 

If i would keep it myself, I would have the underside, wheel wells, and engine bay dry ice blasted, and preserved again with a 2k clear coat. Don't like that heavy tar undercoat they put on it and on all the parts. But maybe it's good for sale originality ?

20 minutes ago, bartsscooterservice said:

I've often heard  you should change your oil every 3,000 miles or yearly which ever comes first.

I know that's not necessary, but then again I wouldn't keep a brand new car for 44 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Anyhow the 350 mile looks correct looking at the other parts. 

If i would keep it myself, I would have the underside, wheel wells, and engine bay dry ice blasted, and preserved again with a 2k clear coat. Don't like that heavy tar undercoat they put on it and on all the parts. But maybe it's good for sale originality ?

Oil breaks down mechanically and accumulates contaminants and condensation from the combustion process. Yes, ti absolutely breaks down. If you want to run it indefinitely you probably can go a lot farther than most people realize, but you should have an oil analysis performed at least every 10K miles, and 5K intervals would be safer.

I generally use 7500K mile intervals with synthetic oil, which I have been studying and using since 1977.  After 43 years of following it, I definitely have an opinion and I think it's a well educated one.

Edited by Pilgrim

19 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Oil breaks down mechanically and accumulates contaminants and condensation from the combustion process.

Totally agree.  I don't know where the car was stored in. but if it's in a moist envirement i think you better get new oil every year. if it's in a very dry storage and not runs for a long time a 10 year period would not be a problem.. the oil stays clean like it would in a canister..  i think.... 

I run my 300zxtt onlt a few months a year and use synthetic oil every 2 years, (regardless of the milage (or few km in my case)) it's stored in a heated garage so i think thats safe.

17 minutes ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Yes, so he did take effort to change the oil, but did not finish the car and drive it ? mmmm

Did I say the original owner is quirky? He's a very nice guy. he's an only child and never married. He's also a combination perfectionist and hoarder.

wow, guess I better up my insurance again. My 75 is as nice as this one (the green 76 that is) and I KNOW I have little rust. that's the thing that gets me, unless you personally inspect it how can you bid this kind of money on a car that is known to be rust prone.

IF I ever loose my z, I think I would look into an early Mustang, unless the sheet metal support for Z's go up it just seem too big a gamble if you have to pay large sums. I would be to afraid to drive it. While I don't consider a mustang type car to be anywhere near as nice as a Z you cant deny the support makes them a nice classic to own.

Hopefully the after market will take notice and make body parts a bit more available for Z's. Perhaps its just a numbers game, lot more mustangs were built and owned here so guess the demand is higher. My fav is the fast back 66, really like the looks of that car, and is one I would consider if I did not have access to a nice Z.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1