IGNORED

"Brand new" 280Z

brunodoggy

Hello everyone. I'm new to this group. This is because I just purchased a VERY Unique 1976 280Z. The thing that makes it unique is that it only has 350 miles.

I purchased it from the original owner. it is in Fantastic condition. Now I have to decide what to do with this amazing find. It has been in clean storage since 1976. The car still has the original PA Inspection sticker, which expired in October of 1976.

I'm looking for advice on how to properly restore and honor this car.

IMG_20190709_182139.jpg

IMG_20190713_140224.jpg

IMG_20190709_181550.jpg

• Like 2

the radio and bumpers were removed to upgrade to a pioneer cassette player and slimmer bumpers. That was never completed and the original parts are included.
I take physical possession on Saturday so I'll have more pictures then. The things i don't have are the Hubcaps, window sticker or bill of sale.

Hopefully one of the members here can come over and take a good look at it to tell you the best course of action. IMHO keep it as original as possible for best value (plus if you plan to make it a daily driver, they are very nice in the stock configuration.

• Like 1

It will still have the usual problems of surface rust in the engine bores and corrosion in the hydraulic system.  Both are open to the atmosphere through open valves and vents.  Don't try to start it without getting it ready to start, and even if the brakes and clutch work they'll probably fail quickly.

Good luck, nice find.  You could probably flip it to a museum or collector and use the money to buy a drive-ready car.

• Like 3

Do not clean it, put the original pieces back on. Store as is in a carcoon and never drive it. It will only be a barn find once and that will add to the value. Wait a few years and put it in an auction as is. In the meantime go buy a nice 240Z to drive around.

Edited by SpeedRoo
  • Like 3

I say clean it up and drive it, you'll love it.  There is a whole procedure to go through before even turn the engine over much less start it,  even though the car has no miles there is a good chance you'll find rust in the gas tank so that means cleaning the entire fuel system.  That is an amazing find, keep your camera clicking.

• Like 1

I just noticed that it also has the diagonal "Datsun" emblem on the hatch over 280Z.  My 1/76 build has the horizontal "Datsun" over the 280Z.

The paint code looks like an ink stamp put on either before or after painting.  Maybe it's an error and adds value, like a miscoined coin.

• Like 1