IGNORED

S30 Chassis Jig and Sheet Metal Fabrication

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum so I'd like to say hello!

I'm an engineer and I'm trying to restore a 1970 Series I 240z in Philly. I bought the car sometime late February and since then I've been getting all of the tools I need to rebuild the car from the frame up. 
So far there are a few major areas of concern on the body and frame that I need to either replace or patch up including, but not limited to... Both rear quarter panels, trunk floor, both floor pans, firewall, frame rails (front), various lips, possibly an A-pillar and etc. 

I'm using CAD and the technical drawings from the factory service manual to try and make my own jig, but I'd like to know if any of you know where I can find plans that have been used to successfully make a chassis jig from scratch. The drawings from the manual are sort of difficult to read and I'm trying to do this without making too many mistakes. ?

Lastly, I plan on making technical drawings, and even some CAD models that I'll upload here when I'm finished and I know everything is functional. 

65954895_10158607962762598_1862388877147242496_o.jpg

F8CFA394F0B0448CA406A71A37A2EF51.jpg

IMG_20190327_223117.jpg

Edited by MonkeyBiznez
Forgot to add photos
  • Like 4

On 7/4/2019 at 5:08 PM, jfa.series1 said:

Another welcome to the group - and big thanks for taking on the saving of another early car! @Captain Obvious in your area is one very smart guy and should be a great help for any local issues.  Consider adding your VIN and build date info to your signature, its always a help to those responding to posts.

Thanks! I just updated my VIN! Didn't see a spot to put my build date...

On 7/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Welcome aboard neighbor!!

Might be something in this thread that could help maybe?
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/61482-240z-gets-jiggy/#comments

@Captain Obvious Thanks Capn'! That helps a lot!

Looking forward to bugging you hahaha

On 7/4/2019 at 5:01 PM, siteunseen said:

Two peas in Philly!

Welcome to the forum. You have already found your #1 friend. :beer:

@siteunseen Thank you!

On 7/4/2019 at 7:10 PM, grannyknot said:

Welcome to the forum and a big thanks for any tech drawings you share with the rest of the members.  That kind of resource is priceless.

@grannyknot Thanks!!! I do a lot of reverse engineering of parts and stuff at work, so if you have any requests let me know. I plan on making a CAD model for every part of the car I plan to replace to see if everything looks alright before I puttem' on the car, so I'll upload those as I go along. 

Welcome from someone who's been there.  I used a frame table that a body shop friend had.  But I just did two floors and a frame rail.  My rockers were in good shape except for one dogleg.  Use your sway bar, mustache bar,  and transmission support in place to help with alignment.

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 1