IGNORED

240z Choke - dumb question? Double lever?

moritz55

My curiosity is getting the best of me so I decided to ask the experts here.... maybe I am brain dead and missed something, I have searched on this site and cannot find any explanation.

Q1) What is the Right Lever for on this 240z choke assembly?  

Q2) Is it specific to a Year? 

Many thanks...

Choke 1.jpg

inage 2.jpg

(Sorry in advance but can't help myself..)

The right one is for your front carb.. and the left one is for the rear carburetor..  this is made this way for if your front part of the engine is already hot due to the Sunshine.. :Bazinga:

No no..Now for real..

left is choke ( ofcourse for both carbs) , right is your gaspedal.. for controlling it by hand..

Only the first year (or the first 1,5 or so..) had the right lever..  my feb.1971 has had it ..  but when its older it can get dangerous.. so often it is removed..

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 1

In the United States, the hand throttles were supposed to have been removed before the delivery of the car to the purchaser.  Blank statement - all cases.  NO cars sold in the United States came with hand throttles.

Now, having said that, there is some credible evidence that some cars made it through the dealer prep and were delivered with working hand throttles.  Hand throttle systems were sold through the parts department and plenty were sold (in both styles).  By all evidence, HLS30s were not imported, distributed, and sold in any sort of sequential VIN numbering.  Thus, it is in error to say or imply that only the lowest VIN cars escaped the ravages of dealer preparation and came equipped with hand throttles.

• Like 1

Your all wrong the right lever deploys the high speed deployment parachute that was only on series 1 240z. The reason the very first cars had this is they were not brought over by ship they were air dropped right to the designated dealers lots this saved a lot of time and import taxes at the ports. After the cars landed the pilots usually flew back to japan for the next round of shipments. Unfortunately for the pilots datsun phased this out. Some dealers left this in the car even after being instructed to remove it.

Dealers often referred to these highly secretive deployment cars as series Zero 240z due to the use of retired Japanese WWII pilots.

In order to get even weight distribution with the parachutes Datsun added many attachment points

As seen 0adcde3cabb266b405bd3a73ceed7f61.jpg&key=469a2273d2fa1a704f95e84370e16fc1420b187be69eb4437011c80b03f89b6e

766609549121cb99bf80dbabb40ab333.jpg&key=1c04ebdb7a80eac09498d4769d5bc64525b5acdc011e6f5913aea53822d99c0e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AK260 said:

I believe they were nicknamed “Darwin’s Cruise Control”

Haha!! My old Alfa had a knob that did that. But making it even worse was that it was a twisty turn style knob. Ten turns or so to actuate, and ten turns to de-actuate. Not the kind of thing you could do quickly.

Darwin was driving!    LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryanotown22 said:

Your all wrong the right lever deploys the high speed deployment parachute that was only on series 1 240z. The reason the very first cars had this is they were not brought over by ship they were air dropped right to the designated dealers lots this saved a lot of time and import taxes at the ports. After the cars landed the pilots usually flew back to japan for the next round of shipments. Unfortunately for the pilots datsun phased this out. Some dealers left this in the car even after being instructed to remove it.

Dealers often referred to these highly secretive deployment cars as series Zero 240z due to the use of retired Japanese WWII pilots.

In order to get even weight distribution with the parachutes Datsun added many attachment points

As seen 0adcde3cabb266b405bd3a73ceed7f61.jpg&key=469a2273d2fa1a704f95e84370e16fc1420b187be69eb4437011c80b03f89b6e

766609549121cb99bf80dbabb40ab333.jpg&key=1c04ebdb7a80eac09498d4769d5bc64525b5acdc011e6f5913aea53822d99c0e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The front cup holder is installed wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Datsun/Nissan also had the throttle control knobs on the earlier Roadsters.  The knob always required some type of pull force to keep operational, otherwise it would drift back to idle.  So, back in the day (late 70's), I kept a stack of popsicle sticks in my ashtray and would shim the throttle control knob so I could cruise at the desired speed for long road trips.  Used to drive straight through from San Diego to norther Idaho that way, along with a bottle of No-Doz.  No way I could do that now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1