IGNORED

Do NOT buy a 123ignition distributor.

Rill Cosby

It's sounding like it might be a detonation problem, from too much advance.  Still haven't seen the initial timing, just the instructions for installing the distributor. 

Seems like a 50:50 fault.  123's instructions aren't clear, but, on the other hand. verifying timing is a basic automotive skill.  And the L series engines are known to be detonation prone, so knowing your timing is even more important.  One of those live and learn things.

Hi guys, I'm not too familiar with this product in question so please bear with me.  Is it even possible for an electrical system to destroy engine components as described?  I thought valve timing and such was controlled by the camshaft and timing chain -- making it impossible for an electrical system to cause a failure.  I'm with Zed Head, it may be two different issues that happened at the same time.

Advanced ignition timing can cause broken rings and in severe cases holed piston tops. The first symptom is engine knock when going uphill. The knock is caused by the fuel-air igniting in the combustion chamber while the piston is still rising. (BTC) I know little to nothing about the 123 system so I have a question. Does this system control ignition advance to individual cylinders or does it advance all six with one function? Another way of putting it is could the system provide too much advance to one cylinder and not the others?

• Like 2

I'm guessing that with too much advance on the spark you get the firing happen during the compression stroke which pushes the piston in the opposite direction of travel which may damage pistons, rings or other bottom end components

• Like 1

@Mark Maras it's just a regular distributor with timing control inside.  It does all six at once, like moving the breaker plate on a regular distributor.

Here's a pretty good review of detonation.  Timing, heat, lean mixture...all can lead to detonation.

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/detonation-what-causes-it-and-how-to-control-it-using-efi/

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Advanced ignition timing can cause broken rings and in severe cases holed piston tops. The first symptom is engine knock when going uphill. The knock is caused by the fuel-air igniting in the combustion chamber while the piston is still rising. (BTC) I know little to nothing about the 123 system so I have a question. Does this system control ignition advance to individual cylinders or does it advance all six with one function? Another way of putting it is could the system provide too much advance to one cylinder and not the others?

Ok, even if that was happening wouldn't you hear it?  I remember driving my car and hearing the knocking sound when I was tuning my engine (the old fashioned way).  I would think you should be able to adjust the system to a desirable setting on the fly with that bluetooth controlled system.

23 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

I'm guessing that with too much advance on the spark you get the firing happen during the compression stroke which pushes the piston in the opposite direction of travel which may damage pistons, rings or other bottom end components

I would think this could only happen if the car was running this way for a long time.  Unless there was something else wrong with the engine, this may not just happen overnight.

The Hybridz guys have lots of stories of breaking things on their modified engines, especially the turbo guys.  Knocking/detonation can break things right away, apparently, on these engines.  Detonation is one of the main problems they try to avoid.

Seems like 123 just needs better instructions and higher quality caps.  Stores like this one are what the forum is all about though, aren't they?  Save somebody else a headache.  Verify timing with a light, don't trust the instructions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Cap seems to be problem:

Actually, that guy is showing that somebody didn't install the rotor correctly.  It wasn't pressed down far enough and seated.  That's a "user error" video, unless 123 installs the rotor before shipping.  Then it's a 123 rotor install error.

Trust but verify.

I'm with zed head here. The reason of engine failure has been put without evidence directly to 123. (I did read the emails) . they tried to help. Don't trust instructions except special points like the led in the 123 case. When you need them to do the job, then maybe you should ask someone to do it for you.

• Like 1