IGNORED

Blower Motor Upgrade - Not a Honda

jfa.series1

A good buddy @chaseincats put me onto this upgrade last year, he originally found it over on HybridZ.  The replacement motor and fan comes from one of our favorite donor cars - a '99 Kia Sportage.  He pulled one from a salvage car and installed it into his 280Z. Yes, the housing needs a 1/16th trim all around the opening but that is the only mod.  His electrical plug was a direct fit.  For my 240Z, the OE motor is hardwired  with a spade and bullet fitting.  Another buddy recently did the same upgrade for his '72 resto project and he put together a jumper for me with the correct plug for the motor and the spade and bullet for my harness.  Grinding out the housing with everything still in the car is a bit of a PITA (I'm getting too old for this crawling around!), but everything came together well.  The new fan puts out lots of air and is super quiet.  A new motor with fan is available at Rockauto for $35 if you not inclined to hit a salvage yard, as in my case. 

100_3458.JPG

100_3460.JPG

100_3461.JPG

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

A good buddy @chaseincats put me onto this upgrade last year, he originally found it over on HybridZ.  The replacement motor and fan comes from one of our favorite donor cars - a '99 Kia Sportage.  He pulled one from a salvage car and installed it into his 280Z. Yes, the housing needs a 1/16th trim all around the opening but that is the only mod.  His electrical plug was a direct fit.  For my 240Z, the OE motor is hardwired  with a spade and bullet fitting.  Another buddy recently did the same upgrade for his '72 resto project and he put together a jumper for me with the correct plug for the motor and the spade and bullet for my harness.  Grinding out the housing with everything still in the car is a bit of a PITA (I'm getting too old for this crawling around!), but everything came together well.  The new fan puts out lots of air and is super quiet.  A new motor with fan is available at Rockauto for $35 if you not inclined to hit a salvage yard, as in my case. 

100_3458.JPG

100_3460.JPG

100_3461.JPG

Glad to hear it worked out!!

3 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

so is this an upgrade to a 280z or a 240z? I realize a lot of folks complain about the 240z motor but I assumed most of the mods were on par with the 280z setup.

The blower works/fits all s30s.  If you have a 280z, the power connector is plug and play (but with series 1 240s, the connector to the blower motor needs the adapter @jfa.series1 fabricated).

While the 280z's blower motor is beefier than the 240's, the sportage motor handily eclipses both.  In my '78 280 for example, the level 5 fan speed setting with the original motor is roughly equivalent to level 3 using the sportage motor.  These things move A LOT more air and are way quieter like Jim was saying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

wow, will have to look for one in the JY!

As an FYI, some Sportage blowers have the proper plug/play T connector but some actually have ones that look like a standard wall outlet.  Not sure what year made the change over, but ya just keep your eyes out for the one with the right connector.

48 minutes ago, chaseincats said:

As an FYI, some Sportage blowers have the proper plug/play T connector but some actually have ones that look like a standard wall outlet.  Not sure what year made the change over, but ya just keep your eyes out for the one with the right connector.

The unit I spotted at Rockauto for $35 has pics, it shows the correct T connector.

Oh my, I thought everyone already knew of this upgrade!

One of the best things I ever did to my Z (Especially here in AZ when you need the A/C!!!) - how many years ago was that...

edit: Wow... 2011... https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/49583-rebuilding-the-heater-and-vent-mechanicals/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-938998

I'm glad people keep bringing this back, the Kia blower really does move a lot of air.  The ducting design is so poor in the S30 that the blower really has to use brute force to overcome the design problems. You also need to make sure all of your seals are tight on the boxes and ductwork or you'll lose most of the increase behind the dash.

Edited by cgsheen1

Another benefit of the Kia motor over the Honda one is that the Kia one requires no soldering.

I believe the Honda motor requires a resistor or something to be soldered in as the Honda motor blows backwards when plugged into an S30 without that modification which isn't necessary with the Kia one.

Edited by chaseincats
  • Like 1