IGNORED

New Member Here To Restore HLS30-52519

CarGroves

I originally owned my first Z car, a 1996 300zx, back in 2004. Later around 2006, I picked up a 260z and started working on restoring it. Life got in the way and we had a big move to Texas and I sold the 260z. I almost bought a really clean silver 240z that was on eBay in 2007. I was wanting a neat car to daily drive. That fell through and now 12 years later I was on the hunt for another car. I really wanted the earliest 240z I could find that was in reasonable condition for a full restoration. I live just North of Houston and found several cars for sale locally. The problem is these cars were very rusty. I mean I can do body work and sheet metal replacement but I didn't want to spend 5 years redoing the body. As luck would have it I found a really nice example on craigslist a couple of states away. I made the deal over the phone last Thursday, drove up Friday, grabbed the car Saturday and headed back home. I'll document the restoration through pictures and video and put it up on my youtube channel. I believe 52519 to be built in 10/71 ?, making it a series 2 car. It appears from items in and on the car it was last driven in the early eighties. Story was the guy I bought it from found several of them in a field back 5-10 years ago. He parted out the rusty ones and kept this one for himself. The car has sat under cover behind his shop since then. The curious thing is that it has Series 1 back glass, round tops,  series 1 seats, and kidney bean wheels. I'm assuming that these were period modifications back in the 70's and maybe the back glass was replaced by a dealer that had series one glass left to sell? Am I better off putting it back to series 2 spec or leave it mid 70's period correct with the early series one parts? I don't want to kill 5-10k of the value if I should put it back to full series 2 specs.

Here it is as found. I have all the original sheet metal and the car looks very rust free! Also has the dealer installed AC, with the York compressor.

datsunasfound.JPG

datsuntrailer.JPG

Edited by CarGroves
added info
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, CarGroves said:

I believe 52519 to be built in 10/71 ?, making it a series 2 car.

Am I better off putting it back to series 2 spec or leave it mid 70's period correct with the early series one parts? I don't want to kill 5-10k of the value if I should put it back to full series 2 specs.

It's on the edge of being a 72 if it was built in 10/71.  What does the title show?  "Better off" depends on what your plans are.  If you're going to flip it then there's a bunch of options.  The resto-mods seem to be doing well.  If you're going to keep it and drive it then whatever you want to do is best.

A "Series 2" with Series 1 parts is still a Series 2.  I don't think that anyone will think that you're "ruining" an early Z whatever you decide to do.  You'll be saving a Z if you get it back on the road.

• Like 4

Someone with more knowledge than be might be able to chime in with an exact date but there was a period between the series 1 & series 2 cars that had vertical glass, the early seats, and the older style center console but still had the c pillar vents like yours.  Mine was built in 6/71 and is one of those cars.  It had the c pillar vents like yours does, the vertical defrosters in the rear glass, the older seats you mentioned, tool bins in the rear deck and the older style console & radio with the large antenna switch.  If you really would like to know, I good clue is the location of the transmission tunnel opening for the shift lever.  The later series 2 cars moved the shift lever forward an inch or two which meant the older style console doesn't fit. 

The nasty flat top carbs didn't come along until '73 & the rims are aftermarket.

I'm pretty sure that's a '72. I had VIN 54345, which had the door tag missing, but I estimated it to have a build date of 11/71. It had the vertical defroster glass, which was used up until 12/71 I think, or close to that, so that's likely original glass in your car. Series 1 cars were made up to 1/71, and series 2 cars were made until whenever the '72 model year started, without looking, probably sometime around 9/71. Looking at your photos, it doesn't appear your car has the chrome gas door latch, which is dead giveaway that it's a 72 or later. It also appears to have the lip on the rad support for the weather strip piece that they added later, which is interesting, since I don't believe '72s had that. 

21 minutes ago, CarGroves said:

Snagged some 1973 minilites from a junkyard today. They came off a 240z and I was contemplating saving it but it was just too far gone. So much rust.

Even on a rusty Z there tend to be good irreplaceable parts. Pick at it until there's nothing but "bones" ...

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 9:04 AM, rturbo 930 said:

I'm pretty sure that's a '72. I had VIN 54345, which had the door tag missing, but I estimated it to have a build date of 11/71. It had the vertical defroster glass, which was used up until 12/71 I think, or close to that, so that's likely original glass in your car. Series 1 cars were made up to 1/71, and series 2 cars were made until whenever the '72 model year started, without looking, probably sometime around 9/71. Looking at your photos, it doesn't appear your car has the chrome gas door latch, which is dead giveaway that it's a 72 or later. It also appears to have the lip on the rad support for the weather strip piece that they added later, which is interesting, since I don't believe '72s had that. 

You are correct, the VIN Series started at HLS30 46000 for the 1972 Model Year.  - Good eye on the radiator core support. That "lip" wasn't added at the factory until around 12/72 to the 1973 Model Year 240Z's, although earlier 1973 240Z's Z's could have had it added at the Dealerships -  as they tried to address the problems with the Flat Tops. It was bolted on at the dealerships - spot welded on at the factory. So it looks like the radiator core support was swapped out with a later Z. 

Welcome to the group and thanks in advance for taking on the challenge of getting another car back on the road.  Going back to pure as-delivered stock can be a daunting process but whatever direction you take, doing it well will have the greatest rewards.  We are all here to help and everyone will enjoy "looking over your shoulder" as you proceed.