IGNORED

Rebuilt engine won't "first" start

CaptainMajestic

16 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

So did I "did or didn't" help? I hope i did at least get a second look.

I think he ended up in the right place so that's what matters.  My rambling probably caused confusion.  He's probably tooling around the countryside right now...

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Something else struck me as odd along with these timing issues. In post #13 after adjusting the valves, cylinders 1-5 were at 130 and #6 was 120. To my knowledge, those #s should be up around 170 or so. 

The gauge used can have a big impact.  I have a gauge with a long tube to use as an extension.  That extension drops it down to the 130's from 180's.  Adds to "effective combustion chamber" volume.

I wonder if he had the throttle wide open.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zed Head said:

It would mean more with a video of the engine running...  Or at least tell us what happened.  You never said.  Saga incomplete.

Yes indeed!

Basically it was a combination of valve lashing and the oil pump install instruction diagram in the FSM not telling you which direction is the front of the engine. I installed the oil pump mostly correctly, but I was one tooth off, and that threw the timing out of wack.

• Like 1