IGNORED

Internal rivets

z8987

I'm sure this method has been used before, but this is the first time I've removed these rivets.  Looks like whoever removed this rivet lost the center, so they replaced it with a piece of wire.  possibly 18 gauge  pretty cool.  When I removed the panel I found the plastic centers they lost years ago. 

IMG_8855.JPG

7 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Still available from Nissan.  The smaller ones behind the tag also.

Not surprising they are still available---no telling how many hundreds of these are replaced each year from losing the little pins! They may get changed more frequently than oil in the motor!

Seems I lose a few to the cracks and crevices  every time I remove panels---I can hear them tinkle on their way down in there but  can't reach them, so I use the pantyhose on the vacuum cleaner trick. It works! LOL

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Years ago I cut up a couple of 11ga. steel fence ties (galv. steel wire) to use as the pins. Painted the exposed tip. Worked great.

I used cotter pins as replacements for the pins.  The looped head of the pin sticks out of the rivet and makes it easy to pull out when it's time to pull a panel again.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zup said:

Not surprising they are still available---no telling how many hundreds of these are replaced each year from losing the little pins! They may get changed more frequently than oil in the motor!

Seems I lose a few to the cracks and crevices  every time I remove panels---I can hear them tinkle on their way down in there but  can't reach them, so I use the pantyhose on the vacuum cleaner trick. It works! LOL

What color and style of pantyhose do you recommend? ROFL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2