IGNORED

Rare Step Lights

It looks like they mount in the lower portion of the door card, to illuminate on the ground as you step out right?

These spots look appropriate as they are under the arm rest. They line up better with your other pic of the door too.

I would think power would be run from the door jam push switch by the hinge, so they come on as you open the door like the interior light. 

cards.jpg

• Like 2

The wiring pigtails (pair of bullet connectors) for them are under the dash on each side, taped to the rest of the harness with blue tape in every Z I've worked on. Just like the fuel pump wiring waiting for you in the back with the sender harness.

I also have wondered how to wire them properly into the doors.  

I have used the pigtail wires to wire some simple little LED fixtures under the dash on each side to vastly improve the interior lighting. 

Edited by zKars

38 minutes ago, Patcon said:

It's a shame parts like this can't be reproduced. I love the idea of a little better lighting in an OEM setup

Since they exist, they must have been made in quantity to justify production.  Where did they all go if they're not on our cars?  Were they used on ther Nissan. Models?  Is there a warehouse full of them somewhereits?

Dennis

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1

They were in markets that required door lights. Not sure which ones those were, but there aren't many.  North American was not on the list, and we know the number of cars that were not NA bound is quite small. There are fewer around than we would like.

Hoover's above post of the originals are the first I've ever seen of them, although I knew of their existence from the parts manuals.

I've had my eyes on the step lights from a 280zx for some time. These are red---there was a clear version as well.

s-l1600[1].jpg

While not as correct as these originals, they could be had for considerably less and should work just fine.

They would mount in the locations shown but somewhat differently, in that they would screw into the door cards from the front, finished surface.

s-l1600[2].jpg

Edited by Zup
added photos
  • Like 3

Yes, i agree the door switch would turn them off and on, just not sure how the wire would go from the switch to the lights in the door. The wires would have to be long enough to open the door all the way and not to long to get pinched it the door when closed. As well as holes drilled in both the door and A pillar. Seems like a lot, when the hole is already in the door card and wires run in the harness. Much more than plug and play. 

• Like 1