IGNORED

Dashcam Recommendations?

Captain Obvious

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Now that may actually produce some positive results.

A step in the right direction, although only after the fact.  Working against its impact is the probability that most drivers get behind the wheel with some offsetting assumptions: 1) they have good or superior skills compared to other drivers; 2) accidents only happen to other people, and; 3) accidents are always the fault of the other driver. 

Exactly how does a police officer decide -- without witnesses who are ready to testify -- that there is enough evidence to warrant pressing charges over illegal cellphone use?  I wonder what % of 'distracted driving' cases actually result in convictions? (as opposed to charges being laid but not sticking)? 

Much of the growing appeal of autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicle technology lies in the promise of 'drivers' being able to text, read emails, and watch videos while sitting behind the wheel.  Not that there's anything wrong with that as an outcome (if it works).  The problem we have at the moment is that a lot of people aren't prepared to wait until that technology is in place!

9 minutes ago, Namerow said:

A step in the right direction, although only after the fact.  Working against its impact is the probability that most drivers get behind the wheel with some offsetting assumptions: 1) they have good or superior skills compared to other drivers; 2) accidents only happen to other people, and; 3) accidents are always the fault of the other driver. 

Exactly how does a police officer decide -- without witnesses who are ready to testify -- that there is enough evidence to warrant pressing charges over illegal cellphone use?  I wonder what % of 'distracted driving' cases actually result in convictions? (as opposed to charges being laid but not sticking)? 

Much of the growing appeal of autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicle technology lies in the promise of 'drivers' being able to text, read emails, and watch videos while sitting behind the wheel.  Not that there's anything wrong with that as an outcome (if it works).  The problem we have at the moment is that a lot of people aren't prepared to wait until that technology is in place!

The other problem with autonomous cars, is someone has to decide who dies and right it into the code. Sort of the iRobot conundrum. Do you hit the pedestrian or the oncoming car?

Do you save the injured cop drowning or the little girl?

• Like 1

I really like the Waylens camera..  a bit on the pricey side.  It also looks like this one can communicate with the cars computer (OBD-II) but we don't have the luxury in our classic Z.. 

https://www.waylens.com/

I really dislike the styling of most of the cheap cameras.  They look like a phone or camera mounted on the dash or rear-view mirror (sometimes with cables sticking out).  If I was going to do this, it would need to look like it's part of the car.

Garmin seems to make some good products:  https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheRoad-c533-p1.html

Whatever you end up buying, can you update us on the experience?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...