IGNORED

Finally Got My Garage Mahal!!!

Marty Rogan

18 hours ago, Racer X said:

I would use a bike lift for bikes, much easier to securely and safely raise a bike for repairs and maintenance.

Uhm.. I don't have the space in my garage for another machine.. i got a GoldWing of over 900 Lbs..  (410-425Kg)  !!  And a 4 post is ideal for service on a GoldWing..

20200406_165433.jpg

18 hours ago, Racer X said:

4 post lift isn’t big enough to lift my Dodge Ram 3500 dually,

Would that dodge fit on my 4 post? it's over 5,5 ,mtr long. (that's over 18 foot long.. ) But i'm sure the roof would get in the way because i always lift low sportscars!

1 hour ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Uhm.. I don't have the space in my garage for another machine.. i got a GoldWing of over 900 Lbs..  (410-425Kg)  !!  And a 4 post is ideal for service on a GoldWing..

20200406_165433.jpg

Would that dodge fit on my 4 post? it's over 5,5 ,mtr long. (that's over 18 foot long.. ) But i'm sure the roof would get in the way because i always lift low sportscars!

Nice bike.

A dedicated bike lift is about 3 feet wide, and about as long as your Goldwing. It with also have a place for the front wheel to hold the bike securely, something a 4 post car lift doesn't have.

Something like this:

BW-1000A__1.jpg

My Ram weighs around 8,000lbs or so empty, so I would need at least a 10,000lb lift, and a minimum ceiling height of 12 feet. My 4 post lift is too narrow, not long enough, and doesn't have the lifting capacity for the weight of the pickup.

37264588045_a76628f4d7_h.jpgNew Ram by Racer, on Flickr

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2020 at 6:22 AM, dutchzcarguy said:

I've got a 4 post lift, an overhauld one from a spanish brand Istobal..  3 or 3,5 tons.  I prefer a 4 post because it's better for the older cars..  you don't break those flooredges..  

I can't think of things i could not do on a 4 post? tell us what it is please..  ( working on an axle you can put that axle on a stand and the lift becomes a workbench for al your tools i would realy miss that with a 2 post lift..  also a 4 post is MUCH more stable!)

My 4 post is most of the time a place to store my other car! Now i drive the car that is under it and comes summer/winter i change then!  (summer car on summer and winter car on winter tires!)

Also, if your a bike guy (like me)  you can put a bike on a 4 post... on a 2 post.. not so easy.. :pow:

Actually a 2 post is the only lift I’ve used to work on my motorcycle...just swing two arms underneath a good lift point on the frame and I’m golden. 

My vote would be a 2 post...they’re cheaper, take up less physical space, and allow you to do more repairs, easier, than a 4 post. A 4 post does have its benefits, such as if you were to park a car on it for storage while parking another underneath, it does a better job of that than a 2 post. Otherwise from a practicality standpoint, 2 post wins hands down. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/16/2020 at 4:45 PM, 26th-Z said:

It was $2,250 for 600 square feet.   https://www.armorcoatings.net/concrete-polishing-san-jose-ca/

Their material spec and installation was in line with what I would spec for a commercial quality installation.  Normally, in my work, I would spec something like a Sherwin Williams product (institutional and manufacturing type of applications) but this material spec had a higher percentage of solids.  I didn't do any flakes, just a solid color.  I have noticed that it does scratch from sand that I track in, but I clean it with Swiffer and it shines right up.  A lot like a polished terrazzo finish.  I let it cure for 72 hours before I started moving stuff in.

It's been six months since the garage was repaired. Can you tell me what condition the epoxy floor is in right now? Are you pleased with your choice? 

Edited by benstorey

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

Installed cabinets this morning.  My old work bench frames got trashed and I got a great deal on these all plywood cabinets.  7 linear feet of uppers and lowers.  Will make a great work bench.  I still have to install the tops which are Corian.

The epoxy floor is holding up very well, however it will scratch and it doesn't protect from hard scrapes and jabs that would mark any concrete floor.  Because of the light color, dirt shows up easily but I wanted that to know that the place was clean.

3R5A0716.JPG

A drafting table! Nice.

I worked as a draftsman back in the days when the only computer was my HP33c scientific calculator with reverse polish notation (no equals button).

On 11/6/2020 at 6:22 AM, Marty Rogan said:

What brand is your lift, and do you like it?

Sorry I took so long to reply.

The lift is sold by Bend Pak, but isn’t branded.

I added jacks that roll forward and backward to allow wheel end work.

It is great for maintenance and service work, I also have a transmission jack for doing transmission and clutch work.

46CDB0BF-A12A-4AED-81F8-938B0929168B.jpeg

79F3EF0A-DE87-4241-A1E6-E768DA1A434F.jpeg

7EED98D6-7E66-4890-9AD4-07F78EC89311.jpeg

56042303-88DE-4B5E-864E-E9EFDB2630CF.jpeg

3C99766D-8DC9-410A-8D6D-97AC3B4F43FE.jpeg

C09B54FD-AD3B-43B4-9D65-6503BC1F1F4C.jpeg

6D9BA3A8-6CAE-41F1-B7B8-772BD01BD656.jpeg

On 5/15/2021 at 1:04 PM, Racer X said:

A drafting table! Nice.

I worked as a draftsman back in the days when the only computer was my HP33c scientific calculator with reverse polish notation (no equals button).

Long ago, a friend was using an HP calculator.  I picked it up and started playing with it.  He said, "Careful, if keep that up, you'll never go back to algebraic." 

He was right.  After 15 minutes I went back to my TI and could not operate it!  Seriously.  Everything was suddenly foreign, like having to push " = ". 

Still using a 48SX bought in the 90's

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2021 at 9:47 AM, 26th-Z said:

Installed cabinets this morning.  My old work bench frames got trashed and I got a great deal on these all plywood cabinets.  7 linear feet of uppers and lowers.  Will make a great work bench.  I still have to install the tops which are Corian.

The epoxy floor is holding up very well, however it will scratch and it doesn't protect from hard scrapes and jabs that would mark any concrete floor.  Because of the light color, dirt shows up easily but I wanted that to know that the place was clean.

3R5A0716.JPG

Your cabinets look just like the uppers I put in my garage this weekend.  The garage in the house I just bought only has one outlet and I have three workbenches that wrap around four walls.  I like what you did with the exposed conduit.  I might have to do something very similar.  With a slab on grade house, all power is under the house, so grabbing more power from the panel is much harder than I'm used to.

I like the drafting table too.  I grew up drafting and I still love doing manual drawings.

• Like 1