IGNORED

the rear end clunk

captainkim@yahoo.com

I did not see much of the typical diff movement that causes a clunk.  The worst clunks were at about 40 seconds and seemed to be more from inside the diff, like gear lash, or pinion pin play.  The half shaft didn't even move much on some of the clunks.  They do wear out.  Looks like an R180, which is weaker than the R200.

Take the cover off and you might find something.  Easiest just to drop the diff with the mustache bar attached, then remove the mustache bar, and the cover.

p.s. that's a lot of fuel hose dangling back there.  Reminds me of when the UPS driver flagged me down and said "there is a LOT of liquid dripping from the back of your car".  My fuel hose had split.  Luckily I was running distance from home and had some spare hose.

Thanks to the clunk I got my car cheap. New trans mount or diff mount, or mustache  bar thing, forget what fixed it but after replacing all three it was gone. I understand how that might not be very helpful. Glad I took it to a good alignment shop instead of trying to do it myself. Got the parts at MSA. The shop had it all done in about two hours.

Edited by Stanley

thanks all for the responses!!  bought this car because it had the s50 engine but now im debating if I want to go in that direction and put more money into this or just start over and stick to original..    ill try to take a look this weekend at the rear...hopefully its not serious.  I was thinking of r200, but as it stands now....the revs are high.as it is....4000RPM at 80MPH

Ok....i went under the car and apparently it was the bolts connecting the rear diff to the bar.   They were barely hanging on for dear life!    well thank goodness that was all it was.   I ended up tightening everything else up.

while i was down there i noticed this unattached line that connects to the top of the reservoir...any clues as to where this should connect to or is it supposed to be free falling?

image.png

IMG_7630.HEIC

That loose hose looks to be just the end of what was likely connected to another hose that goes to the overflow outlet on the driver's side of the tank. Get it reconnected before driving the car again.

Edited by gnosez

been looking for the other side but cant find anything that would attach based on the length of the line....it smells like gas and I traced it back to the reservoir.   It from the the top left of the reservoir if you were looking at it from inside the car.  Let me check again but there was nothing else .