IGNORED

New member, anything I must know?

calvinhg

Hello! I just joined the forum, as I'm looking to get a First Gen Z-car. I'm relatively new to this car, and would like to learn as much as I can so I know what I'm doing once I buy one. I have a few question:

First, what (in your opinion) is the best year to get? To me, older is better, so I'd rather have a 240z than a 280z, but I know they are getting hard to find... Also, I don't like emission regulations (it's just another part that will fail).

Second, how reliable are they? I know rust is a big problem. But do the L24, L26 or L28 have any major problems? What about the transmission? I want a manual, hopefully a 5-speed, though I'm not sure they were offered in the 240z.

Third, were the 2+2 260z and 280z sold in the US? I've never seen any. It sure would be nice to have, but I bet they aren't that cheap (if they even exist over here).

Fourth, I've seen a few Zs that have 5 lugs instead of 4. Has anyone done that, how expensive was it, and do you recommend it?

Lastly, is there anything else you think should be noted about the First Gen Zs?

I hope you can enlighten me, and thank you very much for your time. Cheers from Texas!

PS: Feel free to show your own Z! I'd love to read what y'all have done, how much work you put into it, basic mods you can do...

I don't believe you have to get smog on 280's in the lone star state, earlier cars are lighter, late 260 / 280s have minor changes to structure but are heavier. The best car you can get is one that is not structurally damaged, with minimal rust -  checkout "hidden rust areas" http://www.zhome.com 

Personally I like early 260s, you get the benefit of a "lower" weight (not as low as 69/70 240) but you get a little bit of an upgraded interior + can use any 240 part as the chassis is the same. 

These cars are 40+ years owning them is not expensive if you do the work yourself, but if you dont have the time, then you can always pay to play. With that being said stuff will break and need to be replaced, but there is support to get parts on any of the cars, the motors for the most part are pretty solid, I rebuilt mine as a stock rebuild, was a fun summer project.

getting a 2+2 is not a problem in the USA, I'm not sure why you would want the extra seats, maybe for kids, but I prefer being limited to 1 passenger.

any mods you want to do depends on how much time and money you want to spend. brake kits / hubs can go for hundreds of bucks to thousands. I dont mind 4 lugs, but just try to get a 15"-16" wheel the tire selection will be better.

Look at the classified section there are a couple Zs for sale. 

8 hours ago, lordkarma88 said:

Hello! I just joined the forum, as I'm looking to get a First Gen Z-car. I'm relatively new to this car, and would like to learn as much as I can so I know what I'm doing once I buy one. I have a few question:

First, what (in your opinion) is the best year to get? To me, older is better, so I'd rather have a 240z than a 280z, but I know they are getting hard to find... Also, I don't like emission regulations (it's just another part that will fail).

My opinion is that the best year to get is the one you find that has the least amount of rust.  That said the 240's are more desirable.  They don't have the clunky 5 mph bumpers that the 280 has.  I personally would avoid the 260.  My impression is that they car kind of a mixed bag of parts.  As far as emissions go, most of us take them off anyway.  

Second, how reliable are they? I know rust is a big problem. But do the L24, L26 or L28 have any major problems? What about the transmission? I want a manual, hopefully a 5-speed, though I'm not sure they were offered in the 240z.

The L-series engines are pretty reliable with a lot of performance potential, but I'll leave this to the serious engine guys - same for transmissions.  I don't believe the 240s or 260s had 5 speeds as an option.  I think the first 5 speed was offered as an option on the '79 280z.  You can retrofit the 5 speed with varying degrees of difficulty to the 240z.  Mostly they can be bolted on unless your trying to use one from a 280zx.  One note of caution I'd like to give you... Avoid California Datsun at all costs.  They sell "rebuilt 5 speeds" and other parts.  These are crappy parts run by a dishonest person that have had a rag overhaul at best.  I got rooked for about $1500 on a rebuilt 5 speed that was complete junk.  Not rebuilt, not rebuildable, and it is currently sitting in my shed.

Third, were the 2+2 260z and 280z sold in the US? I've never seen any. It sure would be nice to have, but I bet they aren't that cheap (if they even exist over here).

2+2's were sold in the US.

Fourth, I've seen a few Zs that have 5 lugs instead of 4. Has anyone done that, how expensive was it, and do you recommend it?

5 lugs is a retro fit.  I haven't done it so I'll leave this to others,

Lastly, is there anything else you think should be noted about the First Gen Zs?

Yes, the earlier 240s tended to have electrical problems.  There are many threads for improvements and you should check them out.  The 280s had a better electrical system.

I hope you can enlighten me, and thank you very much for your time. Cheers from Texas!

PS: Feel free to show your own Z! I'd love to read what y'all have done, how much work you put into it, basic mods you can do...

All Done.jpg

Edited by ksechler
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There's an early 1974 260Z 2+2 in Boonsboro MD for $7900. If it's the car that my friend had to tune up then it's a super solid car and well worth checking out. Only 18,545 miles. Looks like it's brown with a brown interior. Phone 240-527-9991. IDK the seller. Just passing this along. My gf just told me about it an hour ago. I think it had the 240Z round top carbs. The Zs are very good and reliable cars. Rust is the weak spot. Put the headlights on a relay. Dave Irwin sells a nice plug-n-play kit for that.

Chuck

In addition to the headlight relay mod from Dave Irwin I went LED on all my external lights with LED compatible flasher modules for the blinkers and emergency flashers. I think this very much reduces the load on the whole wiring harness and combo / turn signal switches on the steering column. Other electrical upgrades are swapping the distributer from a ZX to eliminate points/condenser/ballast resistor and alternator upgrade to a 60amp w/internal voltage regulator and eliminate the old mechanical voltage regulator. Most of this stuff is available from MSA - http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic10l

Welcome to the group, you'll get lots of quality advice and help on this site as you see above.  I see you're deep in the Hill Country so you want to consider watching Craigslist in the surrounding large cities - Austin, San Antonio, Houston, D/FW, Waco.  There's a Z club in Austin - Capital Z is the name.  You might try to contact them for possible leads.  Jeff @Hardway are you listening?

Be cautious of eBay, lots of cars are misrepresented.  The basic advice most of us provide is buy the best car you can possibly afford and the second rule is the rust you see represents only a fraction of what is actually there.  Good luck and keep us posted on your search.

5 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

Welcome to the group, you'll get lots of quality advice and help on this site as you see above.  I see you're deep in the Hill Country so you want to consider watching Craigslist in the surrounding large cities - Austin, San Antonio, Houston, D/FW, Waco.  There's a Z club in Austin - Capital Z is the name.  You might try to contact them for possible leads.  Jeff @Hardway are you listening?

Be cautious of eBay, lots of cars are misrepresented.  The basic advice most of us provide is buy the best car you can possibly afford and the second rule is the rust you see represents only a fraction of what is actually there.  Good luck and keep us posted on your search.

Jim along with everyone else has hit the nail on the head.  Buy the best car you can afford.  Yes, prices are going up but that is no reason to buy junk or anything with a checkered past.  A friend of mine has a '73 240z here in town he is looking to sell.  Its an automatic but could easily be swapped to a 4-speed or 5-speed if you desired.  PM me if interested and/or we can chat over the phone.  I am in Hutto near Round Rock and Georgetown.

• Like 2

Bertram, TX

I've been through there. My wife is from Fredericksburg. Great area!!

Like others have said, you will be money and years ahead to buy the best car you can with the least amount of rust. Always remember with rust, there is at least 100% more rust than what ever you can see!

• Like 1

My best advice is to try to read every post on this forum. The knowledge base is absolutely incredible and you'll come across topics you would never have thought of. Read a few hours a day for at least one month and only then go shopping for that Z! You'll pick much better and save lots of money and headaches.