IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

No, I didn’t grab the booster.  I really wasn’t prepared to go to the yard and was just checking it out. Was in semi-nice clothes and borrowed tools from a stranger to pull the few items I got.  To get the booster I need to lay down near the pedals.  So I’ll be prepared next time.  Putting an old flight suit in my car (the best car working outfit BTW), some PB blaster and a good set of wrenched and drivers.  I’ll be ready and grab it for you as well as the other requested items 

fun to go to the JY, can always find something to make the cover worth it. found a 10$ behind a glove box one time. around here its like a family outing, I see folks bringing  the wife and kids, setting up picnic style out in the parking lot while the old man is in the JY.

Edited by Dave WM

Gotcha. So when you go back, pull off the brake master cylinder first. Easy-peasy and no flight suit required. Easy job up in the engine compartment. Once the M/C is off, take a look at the area where the master bolts to the booster... If it's clean and dry inside and not wet with brake fluid, then we're a GO.

If it's all rusty and paint a-peelin from brake fluid, then just leave it.

But if it is clean and dry, then the rest of the work is done down by the pedals. One pin with retaining clip, and four nuts.

I've been able to reach all that stuff kneeling outside the car. I haven't had to resort to laying down face-up on the car floor. Not that bad.

A bad day at the junkyard beats a good day at work.  And much thanks if you grab one for me!!   :beer:

• Like 3

This place didn’t charge to enter, just showed me on a map where they put them all. I love junk yards too.  It’s sad to see these cars abandoned and each one has a story to tell.  People really don’t appreciate old cars like these, new cars are too damn expensive these days and you can’t do any work on them yourself and that’s by design.  

When I head back I’ll post so you can submit your requests,  

Capt O, got it on the brake booster, they all had the master still attached and minor exterior rust near the master mount point,  mine looks the same on my car but was perfectly clean and dry on the hole where the master mounts.  

Well, it finally happened.  After much patience, frustration, and personal injury and many days of defeat the 280z finally started. I installed the fuel tank today and that was a royal PITA.  No jack and doing it alone was painful.  Somehow the stars aligned and it it worked.  Still can’t believe all the crap that I had to do to get this car started. 

No way it could have happened without great dudes on this forum.  You guys led me the whole way so thank you. 

Check out the link the a successful start.

• Like 2