IGNORED

Cody's Goon

Patcon

31 minutes ago, Patcon said:

The car is freshly painted so that side is nice and clean

Then I would simply wipe it with some clean solvent, and then follow with a clean, dry wipe before the solvent dries, to ensure there is nothing but the fresh paint.

And of course a good wet wipe, dry wipe of the rubber stuff, with the alcohol. Don't use rubbing alcohol, it has too much water in it. Get isoprpoyl alcohol.

Then apply the adhesive to the car, and install the weatherstrip.  If done right, the weatherstrip should bond instantly, or within a few seconds, so be sure the placement is correct.

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

I'd considered an old painting trick before the adhesive, Penetrol wipe down on the car's paint. Just a thought though, I like to study all the angles.

It's what the old timers used to paint signs on glass. It makes a slick surface tacky.

https://www.flood.com/products/paint-additives/penetrol-oil-based-paint-additive

Edited by siteunseen

Ok, so I have a little nugget for any other wagon owner out there...

So this is the factory gas cap. Pretty much unobtanium. The last one I saw a year or two ago in Japan for $350 or so

image.jpeg

So this is what I'm working with

20201129_155849_resized.jpg20201129_155854_resized.jpg

The cap is obviously very visible and it would be nice if It pretty much filled the space.

So I was googling around and I found a thread, I think it was on "The Realm" that mentioned a Stant gas cap.

A G26...so off to Ebay

20201129_155932_resized.jpg20201129_155950_resized.jpg20201129_155952_resized.jpg20201129_155942_resized.jpg

It fits the filler neck fine and appears to seal

Once I had the G26 you can find the vehicles it is supposed to fit. 57'-61' Chrysler, Dodge, DeSoto, Plymouth station wagons. Bingo!!!

Then started looking for locking gas caps for those Marques

20201129_160016_resized.jpg20201129_160020_resized.jpg20201129_160029_resized.jpg20201129_160039_resized.jpg

We have a WINNER!! Merry Xmas to Cody...

It has that factory applied red paint ring on it. It doesn't match and I may try to strip it off and polish it. We'll see after he gets it...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, Patcon said:

Also I was looking at the stainless trim for the windshield and some of it is damaged, the bottom piece especially. Does anyone have some they would like to part with?

@zKars

@Terrapin Z

I have a bunch of Z stainless if that will work for you. I might have a source for 510 stainless I can check with if needed.