IGNORED

BBQ

Patcon

I've been using a Big Green Egg ever since a new neighbor brought over some smoked chicken wings as a welcome gift 20 years ago.  I Love that grill and I've smoked just about everything conceivable on it.  Whatever you cook on, the secret (sssshshhh) is to use Lump Charcoal, not that Kingsford stuff soaked in kerosine (bleech!)  It makes a huge difference in taste.  Also, I like to get the meat up to room temp before cooking, It makes it more tender!

2 hours ago, charliekwin said:

I've only done a few briskets, so I don't have much experience to go by, so take it as you will...

For the rub, just kosher salt and black pepper (except for grilled tri-tip, for which I have a rub I really like, I almost never add extra flavorings to beef. Pork gets a rub, but it's also fairly simple as these things go). I generally stick with hickory for smoke and lump charcoal for heat. For brisket, I try to keep the temp between 250-275 and smoke unwrapped for ~6 hours, then wrap in parchment for the remainder of the cooking time (usually about 4 more hours). That's worked well for me thus far, though it's also possible that using prime-graded brisket -- which my local Costco sells for $2.99/lb! -- is more responsible for those results than whatever skill I have might be.

And my smoker...it's a little unconventional. I went the Alton Brown route and used some big terra cotta pots. Don't know why I can't find a better picture, but here it us with a pork butt. Usually there's a drip pan under there; I must have moved it for some reason.

IMG_20150525_152225.jpg

Thanks for the pointers. I think we will develop our own rub. Pretty much all of the rubs have MSG in them and I would like to avoid that. That's a pretty neat idea with the terracotta pots

2 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

@Patcon There's unlimited recipes for sauces, rubs and different wood but the best advice I can share for barbecue (not grilling) is Low and Slow. Temp somewhere between 200` - 225` F and hours of cooking time. 3-4 hours for ribs, at least 6-8 hours for a brisket, minimum. To late for rib pics, tho.

Yeah, that's part of the problem I was hoping for some experienced feedback to narrow down the options. This group has a bunch of very intelligent, handy people. A perfect resource for a project like this...;)

1 hour ago, jfa.series1 said:

My approach to brisket is a bit unconventional but its worked well for me for many years.  I start with a packer style brisket - trim nothing.  Put it in a big roasting pan fat side up, dump a bottle of Allegro marinade all over it, cover and put it in a WARM oven overnight.  No rubs or other prep.  Next morning get the smoker (similar to yours) going with charcoal then switch to oak for heat.  When the temp is up to 250, remove brisket from oven and transfer to the smoker, fat side up, large end near the firebox.  Add mesquite chunks (or specialty wood of your choice) periodically throughout.  It usually takes about 5-6 hours at 225-250 to get the meat up to 195.  Remove from smoker back into the roasting pan, cover and let it rest for 1/2 hour.  Slice and serve!  The overnight prep really cuts down on the smoking time but I still get a lot of color and smoke in the meat. 

That's a neat technique. Do you just preheat then oven then cut it off?

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

Well, Charles, if Shelly has a hankerin' for some brisket, I'll let you know when I'm smoking some. It might be in a week or two. Like Mark said, "Low & Slow". Dale's marinade or dry rubs: they both are good. We started using a technique where we cook over halfway (I can't remember the temp.) and wrap in foil. Let it get up to the final temperature, pull from the smoker and let it rest for half an hour. Slice it up and try not to eat too much.

Brisket is always good! and I can come down and check up on you.

11 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I think we will develop our own rub

As far as rubs and spices go, I think people make too big a deal of them and/or expect them to work some kind of magic. Personal opinion: the rub should be there to enhance the meat, not be the star of its own show. Salt and pepper really does go a long way!

(The tri-tip rub being my exception, where it does provide a fair amount of the flavor...but I like it anyway: salt, pepper, coffee, brown sugar, cumin, paprika, garlic power.)

Edited by charliekwin