IGNORED

Checking correct fuel level at Round Top 3 screw SU CARBS Float bowls

The "P" in BP5ES or BP6ES is an indication of a projected tip. our cars need that to get the spark in the correct location. A B5ES would be shorter overall. The R mentioned above is a resistor. (BPR5ES)

Heat range (the number 5 or 6) is the size of the porcelain as opposed to the electrode. Has nothing to do with the overall length of the plug. 

https://www.denso.com/global/en/products-and-services/automotive-service-parts-and-accessories/plug/basic/heatrange/

plug.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's another "heat range" definition.  The term "heat range" is inherently confusing I think.  Not sure why they picked that term.  I would have used something like "operating temperature".  My first guess.  Anyway, NGK gives simple description of "self-cleaning".  Why is Denso talking about gas pocket capacity?  What the heck does that even mean?

The simple answer for Jalex's issue is the last sentence, I think.  Of course, then you have to define "ultimately".

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/understanding-spark-plug-heat-range

"UNDERSTANDING SPARK PLUG HEAT RANGE

One of the most misunderstood aspects of spark plugs is its heat range. It is believed by many that the heat range measures spark temperature or intensity. This is incorrect as the heat range is actually a measurement of the plug’s ability to transfer heat away from the tip of the spark plug. One cannot change the temperature of how hot a fuel burns.

A hot spark plug has an insulator design that will be slower to draw heat away from the plug tip (thinner insulator mass), whereas a cold plug has an insulator design that will be faster to draw heat away from the plug tip (thicker insulator mass). For a spark plug to function properly it must have a tip temperature hot enough to invoke self-cleaning, while remaining cool enough to avoid pre-ignition.

For most vehicles, the factory recommended heat range is sufficient; however, on some modified or special-use engines, alternative heat ranges may be necessary. Often hotter heat ranges have been used to attempt to correct an underlying fuel or oil consumption problem; this is merely a cover-up fix and the underlying issues will ultimately have to be addressed."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Here's another "heat range" definition.  The term "heat range" is inherently confusing I think.  Not sure why they picked that term.  I would have used something like "operating temperature".  My first guess.  Anyway, NGK gives simple description of "self-cleaning".  Why is Denso talking about gas pocket capacity?  What the heck does that even mean?

The simple answer for Jalex's issue is the last sentence, I think.  Of course, then you have to define "ultimately".

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/understanding-spark-plug-heat-range

"UNDERSTANDING SPARK PLUG HEAT RANGE

One of the most misunderstood aspects of spark plugs is its heat range. It is believed by many that the heat range measures spark temperature or intensity. This is incorrect as the heat range is actually a measurement of the plug’s ability to transfer heat away from the tip of the spark plug. One cannot change the temperature of how hot a fuel burns.

A hot spark plug has an insulator design that will be slower to draw heat away from the plug tip (thinner insulator mass), whereas a cold plug has an insulator design that will be faster to draw heat away from the plug tip (thicker insulator mass). For a spark plug to function properly it must have a tip temperature hot enough to invoke self-cleaning, while remaining cool enough to avoid pre-ignition.

For most vehicles, the factory recommended heat range is sufficient; however, on some modified or special-use engines, alternative heat ranges may be necessary. Often hotter heat ranges have been used to attempt to correct an underlying fuel or oil consumption problem; this is merely a cover-up fix and the underlying issues will ultimately have to be addressed."

I purchased it modified and swapped the cam wity a schneider 274f camshaft. 

20170222_141039.jpg

20170222_140621.jpg

Well i tested the car yesterday but due to some traffic restrictions i  just drove around some blocks between 1st and 2nd Gear. No misfire whatsoeve only some deceleration backfire. I do notice that the car is taking 5 to 8 minutes to warm up and launching from 1st speed still sluggish. Anyway of getting a faster acceleration response when lifting the clutch?

9 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

Well i tested the car yesterday but due to some traffic restrictions i  just drove around some blocks between 1st and 2nd Gear. No misfire whatsoeve only some deceleration backfire. I do notice that the car is taking 5 to 8 minutes to warm up and launching from 1st speed still sluggish. Anyway of getting a faster acceleration response when lifting the clutch?

Thicker oil will richen the fuel mixture under acceleration.