IGNORED

72 Dash Removal Process

72ZDave

I've searched through the forum looking for a thread that gives a step by step on removing the dash.  I've seen them all on how to restore the dash, but no good detail on getting the dash out.  I've never removed a dash from a car and have seen enough comments that it can be done in a day, mark all your wires, bag all the parts, etc.  I have the Datsun service manual and it has the dash out in 8 easy steps?!?  The Restore your Datsun Z car doesn't have details either.  

If anyone that has done this and could list a few bullets like, start with the steering column, move to X, then to Y, I would greatly appreciate your input!  

Thanks!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 72ZDave said:

I've searched through the forum looking for a thread that gives a step by step on removing the dash.  I've seen them all on how to restore the dash, but no good detail on getting the dash out.  I've never removed a dash from a car and have seen enough comments that it can be done in a day, mark all your wires, bag all the parts, etc.  I have the Datsun service manual and it has the dash out in 8 easy steps?!?  The Restore your Datsun Z car doesn't have details either.  

If anyone that has done this and could list a few bullets like, start with the steering column, move to X, then to Y, I would greatly appreciate your input!  

Thanks!!

If you are talking about @Wick Humble's book pages 74 thru 76 have quite a bit of detail on this subject he calls it "instrument panel removal" instead of dash removal. Also here is a link to some good info in our knowledge base:

HTH

Mike

Thanks CanTechZ!  The link looks great!  The book is Wick Humble's and you are correct, those pages have some detailed information I can use as well.  SteveJ, Zup did shoot me a message.  Met him in Branson last year.  

I appreciate the assistance!  Maybe someday I'll get this Z on the road, she's been quiet since the late 80's!

• Like 1

I used the link Mike suggested. Worked great.

I had never done this before and I think the dash was out in under 2 hours.

Also label screws and wires. And it's easier to have a friend help you to lift it out and back in. I was alone and it wasent that heavy but next time I'll get someone to assist.

/Andreas

• Like 2

@Wick Humble

The Z Community will be really excited about your HTRYDZC revisited Title. Your book has been invaluable to me and many, many others in our quest to restore these Z'z. It IS the definitive work on the subject. I can't tell you how many times I have wished for clearer photos though! :ermm:

Right now--- I want (hope/ wish/ will pay for) an autographed copy as soon as it is released.

So glad to see you "name drop" Steve as a collaborator! What a great combination,--- you two! 

He is  my "go to" guy out there in the "Land o' Plenty" for hard to find Z items and has helped me numerous times. We chat by phone every few months. Steve clued me in on his projects some time back, but I am "sworn to silence" even though you mentioned it. I would say he has one in particular that is the "project of a lifetime".

Thanks Wick, for everything! 

Jim D.

"Zup"

• Like 4

It is a great book, but I would love to see more references to the 280Z in the revised edition. About 90% is 240Z specific including pictures. I know I'm a minority, but more people are restoring the 280's now.

2 hours ago, wheee! said:

It is a great book, but I would love to see more references to the 280Z in the revised edition. About 90% is 240Z specific including pictures. I know I'm a minority, but more people are restoring the 280's now.

Totally agree !!

On 4/4/2017 at 9:55 PM, Wick Humble said:

Thanks for the good words!  In HTRYDZC I tried to keep to the names Datsun gave parts in the factory shop manuals, though not in every case; some were too silly.

I can't think of a lot of good things to say about the dash removal chore; I just did my new 'restomod' '71 project a couple of years ago, and I still have the sound system, alarm, and A/C to finish wiring up.  Not that it's so difficult, but once the thing is back in, there is so little room to work even with the glove box still out.  Not impossible, but my joints aren't what they were back in 1987 when I reassembled HLS003547.  Oh well...

BTW: Howard Fisher and I are working on a complete revision of the Restore book, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of it's being 'in print', and thank goodness, still selling pretty well.  Who'd have ever guessed?  My pal Steve Pettersen (Pettersen Motorworks, Chico CA) is collaborating, and we hope to have some color shots, esp to replace some of the murky ones I did on the old Nikon Ftn 35-mm. back in the day.  Besides some nice cars and parts, he has several spectacular Z's under restoration -- if he could get all those funny old roadsters out of his resto shop!

Wick

PS/  anybody want to buy my NL320 trucks?  Both '65's, one nice red one, and a rare black project for a lot less dough.  I want to build  Kustom!  Happy Z Trails!

What are the chances of getting an autographed copy of the revised edition?