IGNORED

selling a 240Z for estate - please help

foreignaffairs

This just in from Sports Car Market - A good write-up on the 70-78 Z's   - 77 280Z - Original Paint, 87K miles, all original car - Metallic Brown - $44K. Their analysis is that 240Z's are pushing the $50K range..  So maybe I'm a little low on my estimate..  $35K reserve perhaps..

A Super Samuri sold in the UK for $61,240.00 as well.

FWIW,

Carl B.

• Like 1

I personally think it's a $35k USD + car. How many are out there in this shape? These cars have worldwide appeal, listing on BAT may limit it's potential but on the other hand has sometimes work in favour of the seller. But other times it works better for the buyer.

@Carl Beck comparing with a "Super Samuri" is really difficult a lot of those cars and their pedigree is questionable at best. It's a minefield from my understanding, but also the UK market tends to pay a premium price for RHD examples (Or HS30's) as they should too! They were better hehe. :D, jokes aside, to the OP if you're looking to sell quick set price around 30k, if you have a bit of time hold out for 35k.

Personally I love seeing examples like these.

1 hour ago, Gav240z said:

I personally think it's a $35k USD + car. How many are out there in this shape? These cars have worldwide appeal, listing on BAT may limit it's potential but on the other hand has sometimes work in favour of the seller. But other times it works better for the buyer.

I agree, I have been logging in on to BaT everyday for years and with the exception of a few notable instances, I think BaT's buyer pool has been saturated with 240z's, case in point: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-7/

A car listed by one of our own members, certainly not as well maintained as the OPs  car but a series 1, honest, clean driver with only a few small rust issues failed to make reserve.

Don`t get me wrong, I love BaT and their buyer base is getting wider all the time, I just don`t think they are the best place to sell Z`s at the moment, great place to buy them though.

The battery tray/firewall area has been patched, both floors replaced with flat metal, frame rails under floor replaced, rust hole in left rear inner rocker area, right rear inner rocker area may have had a hole filled over, diff leaks, trans leaks and it looks like welding was done in the wheel well area of the RF inner fender just above the frame rail. Looking at one of the last pictures showing the underside of the battery you can see a bumpy line between the top of the RF frame rail and the engine wiring harness. It appears that some welding has been done there. That concerns me. Do you have any pictures of the RF inner fender from the suspension side where the engine crossmember bolts on to the frame? I'm looking at the two pics of the front inner fenders for the suspension side. Does it look like there's a weld seam just below the upper frame rails on both sides?

Most everything else looks good to very good! The gas tank is nice and straight. If I were to buy it I'd patch the hole(s) in the inner rockers, fix the diff/trans leaks, replace the ball joints/tie rods/u-joints, go over the brakes/engine and enjoy it for may years as-is.

Chuck

Chuck nailed it, I would just add that although the floor pan repair job is serviceable, Nissan or Zedd Findings repair panels should have been used. The workmanship is not up to the standard that the rest of the car shows, you can still see the self tapping zip screws in place that were used to hold the front seat support to the pan.

On 2/17/2017 at 3:25 PM, JLPurcell said:

I believe that this is a mid 20's car on BAT. The history could bring that up a bit, but I still don't believe that is would break the 30K mark. I just went back and took a look at the history of these on that site. This is a #2 car and the 1973 is not bringing what the 1972 and earlier cars are bringing yet. I would consider this car a great refresh not restoration, a restoration was probably not warranted but it does make a difference. Just my 2 cents and I am at times surprised. JLP

This is why I find it hard to discuss the value of a car without seeing, smelling, and touching. The initial pictures of the car show a "re-fresh paint job" ID tags not removed etc..but the assumption that it was just a re-fresh due to the lack of need of a restoration can be assumed by the nicely presented awards, look of the interior etc....Now that the additional photos have been posted a very different assessment has to be made. The car has had major rust repair done badly (what else is lurking under that re-fresh paint job?). To a untrained person who wants to get in on the upward movement of Z values this car is the Venus Fly Trap of cars as so many cars are.     

I just looked at the pics in the link in the first post. The right dog leg was probably replaced. That would explain what I saw on the inner rocker in the other pics. That should have been done better. It's probably a nice driver and good for local shows but JLP is right about the untrained person buying this car.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...