IGNORED

Somethings wrong...

Redwing

Just now, rcb280z said:

Hi Jai, I'm really surprised you got this from a worn out clutch. Specifically the "very quick starting". Hope you have no more problems with her.

Good luck and keep us informed. 

Well, quick as I could push her!   Hahaha...

Jai

Hello all,

Good news!  I picked up my sweet RedBird today from Pete.  Oh boy, there is a super difference in driving now.  Talk about Zoom!  I can tell how really bad the old clutch was by the feel and the driving zoomies happening now.  I had no idea how bad off she was.  Watch out world... we are released from the bad, and looking forward to going on delightful drives.  It is almost like I am driving her by using thoughts only, that she understands and responds.  :bunny:

Pete did send the flywheel out, said it needed it badly.  I suggested getting a rear main seal.  He asked if I wanted it replaced and I told him you all advised it while he was in there.  His comment today was that "it was a good idea, it was going to need it soon if not done today".  The bearings came apart when he was taking them out  and he did reuse the steel Nissan collar as Chickenman suggested.  I talked to him about the transmission gear oil, and he agreed with what I had been told previously.  That not to mess with it unless needed, too many chances of something else going wrong because of changing on these old cars.  So we left that alone.  I had prepared a list of the things all you mentioned, and we talked about each entry.  I told him it was because you all look after me that you suggested those things.  He smiled.  :)

So we came home very uneventfully.  Very easy driving, and no shutting down by her.  I'm thinking that it probably was water in the tank, as Gwri8 said.  I did put the alcohol in, and she is driving well.  I guess time will tell.  I now have driven her with the new spark plugs, for about 35 miles.  I will get them pulled off this weekend, and photoed to share with you so we can see their condition.  That will tell us more about her shutting off.

Pete, bless his good heart, did not even have me sign a contract for payments.  I only had the $ that my friends on CZCC sent me, to give Pete today.  After buying the parts, I was out of available $.  Thank God I had your gifts.  Pete says that "rich people have a way of not paying", and that "folks on Social Security pay on time, and complete their payments".  So he said he is not going to worry about me.  What a really nice person to find in this world!  Thank you Gwri8, (he sent me to Pete).  I figure if Pete is good enough to work on Gwri8's car, then he will be the best one for my RedBird also.  

Well, thanking you for your suggestions and donations, I'm heading for bed.  It has been an exciting day, thanks to you.

Jai

Edited by Redwing
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lumens said:

So you had a rear seal in hand and he replaced it? Also if you are getting water in the tank then I would stop buying gas

at that station.

I have no clue to why changing the transmission gear oil has any negative effects. ??

Lumens, no I did not have the rear seal in hand.  By the time it was suggested I didn't  have time to get one.  He called around while I was standing there, and found one.  

As to the gas, for sure I'm  not going back to that station again.  I had thought it a one time event and again bought some there.  I usually go to Dalton, 12 miles away, to a station that only sells 100% gas, in 3 grades.  Lesson learned, I will go again to Dalton for water free gas from now on.  

I am sorry, I have not had it explained to me what could go wrong changing old transmission oil.  Anyone know exactly why, please jump in here for the benefit of all concerned.
Pete did me well with my bill.  He only charged me $250. for the clutch installation, $13. for oil change and lube, $18.21. for the rear seal, $45. for the machine shop flywheel fee, and $8.40 for hazardous waste fee.  That all totals $334.61  It is going to be hard for me to come up with that $, but I am blessed and feel that the good Lord will see to it somehow I can get it paid.

Thank you everyone for blessing me with your information, parts, and $ donations.  We sure needed you, and are amazed at this group of helpful folks!

Everyone have a great day, take your sweet Z's out for a drive and enjoy the day.  I plan to!  Life is good!

Jai

You may have misunderstood previous posts.

What I have seen posted is that you don't drain the transmission until you can verify that you can open the fill plug. Many people have said it is difficult to impossible to get some of them off. The only time I tried, I got it off with no problem, possibly because I read some good advice here before attempting to do it.

• Like 2

Just now, SteveJ said:

You may have misunderstood previous posts.

What I have seen posted is that you don't drain the transmission until you can verify that you can open the fill plug. Many people have said it is difficult to impossible to get some of them off. The only time I tried, I got it off with no problem, possibly because I read some good advice here before attempting to do it.

Thank you Steve, that is totally understandable. .

Just now, rcb280z said:

That's great news Jai! Now go out and drive RedBird and enjoy. You deserve it.

Thank you so much!  I just love the friendship and love from this group, thankfully.  

I will do exactly that, with both of us grinning on down the road.  Yay!!!

Jai    :love:

On 3/9/2017 at 0:14 AM, rcb280z said:

Funny, so be careful when you go to take off now. You will propel a lot easier and faster now. ZOOOM ZOOOM!

True true true...!   When leaving Pete's shop, I did manage to do so without stalling.  Ha!  He was sitting at his desk with a big plate glass window.  I don't  know of if he was watching me, but I prepared my exit in case, and pulled it off.  But alas at the first stoplight I was not so good, stalled out.  That was the only time, I managed a good drive home, albeit having to concentrate each time.  The trick is to learn it without thinking about it.  Muscle memory they say.  Then I'll  be happy.  

I am surprised at the propel part.  Oh wow, super Zoom Zoom mobile!  Great...

Jai

• Like 1