IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

3 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Just wondering about the color of the hood hinge torsion bars?  I thought they were black as they can be seen though the grill.

Yes, the torsion bars are supposed to be matte or satin black.  I haven't got to it yet.  It is a bit tricky to get out and I do not want to chip the paint.  Will probably need to tape up the area and then remove so I do not hurt anything.

Edited by motorman7

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it.  

The wife is gone today so got a lot done.  I got the wheel hubs cleaned up and repacked the bearing before installation.  Cleaned up the calipers, I wire wheeled those and then hit them with a clear gloss coat.  Cleaned up and re-packed the steering rack, also put in new rubber bushings.  Detailed the engine bay by painting the harness tabs black.  Also added undercoating to the area that was already undercoated.  Pics are below.

The before and after caliper pic looks funny.  Yes they are the same size, cleaned up one is in the background.

DSCF5279.JPG

DSCF5286.JPG

DSCF5287.JPG

DSCF5293.JPG

DSCF5296.JPG

DSCF5306.JPG

DSCF5297.JPG

DSCF5307.JPG

DSCF5311.JPG

DSCF5313.JPG

DSCF5314.JPG

DSCF5319.JPG

DSCF5323.JPG

• Like 1

I finished straightening up the frame rails on both sides.  After that I cleaned, wire wheel and wire brushed the underside of the car.  (I think that is the last of the 'not fun to do' work).  Once that was complete I put a coat of POR-15 over the entire underside.  It shows up glossy in the pics.  I started spraying on the new undercoat but ran out before I even got a third done, so I will have to hit the store on Thursday and get another couple cans.  Before and after pics are shown below.

DSCF4349.JPG

DSCF4356.JPG

DSCF4365.JPG

DSCF5342.JPG

DSCF5343.JPG

DSCF5348.JPG

• Like 1

I finished up the undercoating on the forward 2/3 of the car.   I went through 2 cans of undercoating pretty quick, but I think everything came out pretty nice (for those people like me that like to crawl around the underside of the car.   Now it's time to work on the back.  

I dropped the front end down on it's tires and lifted the back end.  I removed all the suspension items off the rear and started to tear them down.  I could not loosen the large 24mm bolts off of the lower suspension arms.  In fact, of all things, I broke my 1/2 inch torque wrench trying to get them undone.  Never had that happen before.  In hindsight, I should have been using a 1/2 inch breaker bar, lesson learned.  I think I will take the assemblies to the machine shop tomorrow and see if they can knock those off for me.

DSCF5352.JPG

DSCF5355.JPG

DSCF5358.JPG

DSCF5359.JPG

DSCF5360.JPG

DSCF5363.JPG