IGNORED

rear main sealant

Dave WM

Just wanted to mention it since you said you have a fairly big leak.

I'm pretty sure that I replaced the crankshaft seal on the engine currently in my car, and I'm getting a few drops for every week it sits in the garage.  I won't know if it was my seal repair or something else until I take it apart again.  It was fine for quite a while then I jinx'ed myself by saying I had a leak-free engine.

I picked up the seals and gasket from local Nissan today.

Geez the RMS is big, 100mm. Seem like it has little dots of red grease already on the inside of the seal. So I assume with the OE real no need to prelube with lithium as per the FSM?

I cant find a driving tool that is 100mm, I like to use the correct tools. Any ideas where to find such a tool. Most of the stuff I see for sale is 81mm.

• 2 weeks later...

well getting a bit more and more oily back there, I kept hoping it was not the main seal but looks like it is. I stuck a thin plastic stick in the hole on the bottom of the bell housing for the trans. came back very oily so oil is getting on the back of the engine on the other side of the plate that bolts between the eng and the trans. I figure it can only get there one way, the rear seal. I hope to get to this in the coming weeks but figure I will need a clutch alignment tool and maybe a clutch too.

so, can someone give me the Exedy part number that will work with my base coupe 280z?  ebay is kinda all over the place on this. I assume Nissan does not make them anymore if I wanted to go OE anyway.

thank just want to make sure before ordering.

I was wondering why replace the pressure plate? If I like the feel of if is there a reason? I notice some PP have more but thinner fingers. I assume compared to less and thick may have some effect on the feel of the clutch?

The How To Rebuild book describes checking both the flywheel and pressure plate for wear and/or heat checking then resurfacing them using sandpaper if they're okay.  New is not always better.  I noticed a noticeable difference between my "Zoom" Napa store pressure plate and a Rhinopac brand that I got later.  The Rhinopac had a much smoother, lighter pedal feel.