IGNORED

1970 240Z HLS30- 06026 For Sale (original)

tse4me

Having been away, I guess I feel a little more emboldened to weigh in here.  While I get the negative feelings towards OP (I was also shocked at the price), keep in mind that it's in his right to back out of a sale.  He's not betrothed to ANYONE but himself, and no one should fault him for that.  It seems to me that when you think you are getting a great deal, and it changes, there's a sense of "what if?".

But that's unfair to the OP - I agree with Mike, I don't think he was being a jerk, he simply didn't know any better.

Having spent MANY years (and over 20,000 posts) on Ferrari Chat, I can tell you that forum-based classified ads are ALWAYS a hornet's nest.  Invariably, somebody with an attitude will nitpick a car ("that's not the original widget for that year!") or knock the seller ("you are priced too high!") - it's a **** show.  I had this discussion with Ferrari Chat's owner, and I'm saying it here for Mike to see...I haven't posted in a long time, so the forum classifieds are new to me.  I remember DatsunClassified.com, that's a better vehicle unless there are clear rules not to post commentary other than questions about the car and inquiries.

The bigger fear, folks, is that you'll scare away prospective sellers.  As these become more desirable and rare, that's not what we want.  I'm sick of seeing the garbage posted on Hemmings and fly by night flippers looking to make a buck.  It's hard enough trying to find a good car and give it a good home.

You can flame me, but I don't think this is a good practice.  Let's encourage the OP - put bad feelings aside - and let's see if someone here can give the car a good home.  I'm STRONGLY considering selling my Ferrari or my Jag E-Type to get back in the Z game, and a car like this would be of interest to me.  If we don't encourage non-members, we'd never get a shot...

FWIW.  Hoping OP sold it to a ClassicZCars member!!!  Either way GLWS!

Love the E-types. Dad almost got one back in the early 70's he passed on that for a new 260 2+2 (was warned about reliability issues with the Jag).

Also past on a 68 Shelby ( few years old and I bet a good price). The salesman took dad out for a spin, literally spinning the cars smoking the tires etc... Thanks guy, no way dad was going to bring that home to a couple of teens...

Edited by Dave WM

I have sort of stayed out of this discussion but I tend to agree with @rdefabri if someone is ignorant of a fair price and then reconsiders their asking price, I don't hold that against them. Why should they hurt their family for a complete stranger, that may or may not complete the sale? The OP mentioned something about college tuition at some point. Also I take some of the "I'll take it" like I view everything on the internet; not a done deal until it's a done deal. People back out on Ebay sellers all the time after they agree to buy a car and that's with Ebay to try to help prevent that. What is the difference between a seller not completing a sale versus taking advantage of a sellers ignorance to the tune of 50-80%? To me it is merely perspective...

On 10/26/2016 at 3:17 PM, tse4me said:

I have a 1970 240XZ for Sale. Located in Scottsdale. I will send pictures if interested. Vin is HLS30-06026. Car has been garaged for its life. It is original condition including radio and ash tray.  Runs great  Blue interior  Looking to get 8-9K for it.

Sure, you can talk values, morals, principles, philosophy, etc.  How far should we go?  Should we police the internet to make sure every seller gets maximum value, for their families?  He offered the car for a number and the offer was met.  He said "for Sale".  How much leeway do people get?

My initial point, way back in the thread, was that everything was fine at Post #1 and a few after, until people started chiming in with their opinions of what the car should sell for.  He could have sold it for his high number, left and not come back, and somebody here would be happy.  You can argue the other side and say that somebody lost the opportunity for "joy" for themselves because they couldn't afford to buy their dream car, after people not involved got involved.  It's a big old circle.  He didn't mention tuition until he needed to backtrack.  

Overall though, that's the risk of these forums.  People can chime in as much as they want until someone decides that their comments are abusive.

Still waiting to see who got it.  It is/was a nice car. 

All I'm really saying above is that this whole thing is a matter of opinion.  I like to see people get good deals.

Here's the other other side also - people can chime in when they think the asking price is too high.  That would be fair, according to some of the opinions expressed here.  Let's see what happens when somebody does that.

I think when people use @Mike 's forum to sale a Z they should make a donation for his work keeping this forum running smoothly.  

We all pick it apart and say if it's a deal or not and that has to affect the sale, good or bad (mostly good).  It's common sense leaving a good tip when you have good service.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I think when people use @Mike 's forum to sale a Z they should make a donation for his work keeping this forum running smoothly.  

We all pick it apart and say if it's a deal or not and that has to affect the sale, good or bad (mostly good).  It's common sense leaving a good tip when you have good service.

I could give Mike some best practices gleaned from years over at Ferrari Chat, which is absolutely the best forum I've ever participated in.  Founder / owner is very involved, makes good money from the site, and polices the classifieds with some good rules.

FWIW

• Like 1

I like to see the win-win. If the car is worth 15k and he sells it for 13k great, everybody is happy. If the car is worth 15k and he sells it for 8k he took a 47% hit. One's really happy and one got taken advantage of. If it was Jai selling Redbird and she offered her car at a 50% discount would we be supportive of somebody taking advantage of her ignorance. Would we fault her for re-evlauating since she lives on limited means and the difference in cash would be huge to her.... 

• Like 2