IGNORED

Smog Fail - headers and EGR

DoubleYOOHZ

16 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

There is no stock header for a North American model 280Z. If you are worried about CARB compliance, get the stock exhaust manifold with the exhaust kit and be done with it.

I see...

Damn....that is expensive. Thanks SteveJ. I now need to debate what I should do... 

Edited by DoubleYOOHZ

You could try to find a used exhaust manifold. I don't think Autogator has much in the way of old Z parts anymore. There were a couple of other places in the Sacto area. I haven't looked for any companies out there in a while. Heck, I moved away from the area 20 years ago. The problem with used is that some of the fittings usually have rusted away.

Forty year old cars aren't the best candidates for daily drivers, especially when they are not smog exempt.

CA is a tough place to own an old car.  RCB may have got lucky and the inspector didn't look at his headers, as he suggested.

They're heavy and shipping will be expensive.  ZSpecialties might have one though.  Probably need a $40 resurfacing and might have broken studs to remove.  http://www.datsunstore.com/manifolds-exhaust-7083-p-2020.html

Sounds like you have 3 problems, all of which by themselves are going to make you fail a visual inspection.  In order of importance:

1.  No catalytic converter.  That, at least, is an easy fix. Take it to a shop and have one installed for about $300.  No smog station will ever pass you without it.

2.  Missing EGR.  You'll have to replace it somehow.  Like the cat, not having it is major problem; you won't find a place that'll pass you without it.  Its absence is -- I'd guess -- what caused the tech to notice #3.

3.  Headers.  Like I said the other day, there are no CA smog legal headers for the Z.  It takes a lot of time and money to get CARB to approve something.  Major aftermarket companies with big markets like Stillen will (sometimes) deal with it.  No one's doing it for the Z.  That said, if the rest of your car's in good shape and you don't give the tech a reason to start looking for problems, they may let headers pass or not even realize what they're looking it.  But with your other issues. you never even gave them a chance.

I'd venture a guess that if your car passed CA smog in its current state, it was because the PO had a friend and/or slipped him a couple hundred bucks.

I would suggest finding what you need on ebay. Here is an exhaust manifold....and it has the EGR tube in place. Most manifolds you see on ebay have the egr tube cut off, which presents a problem because finding the tube is hard and removing the bolt connecting to the manifold is hard.

Exhaust Manifold with EGR tube

After that, all you need are the two EGR related pieces that bolt to the intake manifold. If you can find the EGR valve on rockauto or similar, great. The one on top though may be challenging to find new though. I would watch ebay for an entire 77/78 intake manifold that has all of the valves, bits, pieces in place. I don't see one on ebay right now but they show up all the time.

Regarding the converter....if your car is not an original California spec car do you need the converter? Non-California 77/78 280z models didn't have a converter. If you have a California car then, yes, you need a converter. Again, I am just asking because I don't know the CA rules.

Yeah you may have better luck locating a complete intake with the egr, tube and the "spacer" that sits below the egr. I did not know that MSA sold the OE style exhaust manifold. 

If it was me, knowing how CA is, I would start looking for all the OE stuff and get it done. This way you are smog legal. I'll talk with my smog guy and see what he says about the exhaust header. See if he will offer any info. It's unfortunate that the PO removed it. It doesn't affect power. I have ran mine both ways and didn't notice any power difference.

I will check my "stock" this weekend to see if I have anything.

There is at least one, maybe two, labels on the car that many smog testers use.  The one on my door jamb says "No Catalyst" in big bold letters.  If it says "Catalyst" then he'll look for a converter.  I had to point out once that there was a "No" in front of Catalyst after the guy looked at it then stuck his mirror under the car.  I don't know what the labels say about EGR, my car doesn't have it.  

EC label.PNG

Thanks for all the replies folks. When I bought the car, I thought i did my research to know about the car inside and out. I guess I am still a newb. As for now the cat is installed on the car. I may have realized that this vehicle may have been tracked in its previous life with the PO. Headers, No EGR, Full exhaust system, full front and rear brake upgrades, and much more cosmetic upgrades. I can see why you moved out of Sac steveJ.

My vehicle is a California Model. It states california on the underside of the hood along with smog guidelines.  Included are the words "catalyst."

I'll try ebaying these parts when they come up or even craigslist.  Thanks all.

• 3 weeks later...

DoubleYoohz,

Another source of parts in the area...check Craigslist...there is a guy in Citrus Heights that parts out cars....he always has an add up.

Also the Datsun club meets first Friday's at Round Table off Sunrise...might be able to network there and find some parts.

Good luck to you.

When I lived in calif there were people that had family living in rural areas of calif and they registered their modified cars in those non smog counties.

Pain in the butt tho. I'de rather have stock exhaust.

Edited by hr369