IGNORED

#64 just popped up on ebay

hr369

Short Answers:

The early (this is where we get into the 'series 1 / series 2' rigamerall) North American import 240Z came with an AM radio and one speaker.  The power antenna toggle switch was on the right side of the face plate.  In 1969, there were no FM radio stations to listen to.  Later cars (series 2, I guess) came with an AM/FM, two speaker (stereo?) radio with the power antenna slide switch on the top-right of the face plate.  Nissan also offered an AM radio with an 8-track cassette player, however it was not marketed in North America.  The power antenna switch on my 8-track is similar to the AM/FM face plate.  Both the AM radio and the AM radio 8-track have the volume control on the right.  The FM radio is a different chassis and thus the volume control on the left.

So what does Fairlady actually mean?  The story is that the president of Nissan Motor Corporation saw the Broadway play "My Fair Lady" during a visit to New York and decided to name the Nissan sports car "fairlady".  Go to Carl Beck's website and read what is pretty much the accepted answer.  I personally don't believe that story is a complete explanation but the Nissan Fairlady Z introduced in 1969 is what was exported to North America as the Datsun 240Z  The Nissan Fairlady Z has a 2 liter engine,  The Datsun 240Z has a 2.4 liter engine.

Sorry to be song long-winded.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Sarcasm?  Did the early cars have FM?

I didn't catch that until now.

Yup.  Sarcasm.  No FM on the early Zs.  At that time in history, there were plenty of radio stations broadcasting in FM, just not many car radios able to listen.  FM was mostly enjoyed on the home stereo receiver.  Life was simpler in those AM radio days.

Dennis

In Norway this old analog radio will soon (2017) receive nothing but static. Analog AM & FM are being phased out. Relic of the past.

They say this won't happen in the USA but many stations here have already converted over to digital. They're also broadcasting in analog simultaneously.

But someday.....

analog.jpg

1 hour ago, hr369 said:

They say this won't happen in the USA but many stations here have already converted over to digital

It will happen because the government wants the band width for other things. That is how we got digital broadcast tv. They sold the old TV frequencies to companies for other uses...

W

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I like simple, take me back to the 80s. 

What does SW stand for on the volume/tone knob?  I tried google and it comes back "subwoofer" LOL.

Is it just SWITCH?

SW = On/Off switch on that three function radio control knob.  Car radio controls were much more user friendly, easy to find while weaving through traffic, and within reach back then.  The driver didn't need to take eyes off the road or have tiny fingers to change stations or adjust volume like we do with current car entertainment systems.  Progress?  I'm not sure.

Dennis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

It will happen because the government wants the band width for other things. That is how we got digital broadcast tv. They sold the old TV frequencies to companies for other uses...

And we got screwed!  Comcast charges $5 a month for Broadcast fees.  They told me that was payment to the movie studios, which they own, Universal Studios.

We'll get it again on the radios.  I have a Bluetooth speaker I put in my Zs and use iHeart on my phone on long drives but nothing sounds sweeter than my 2.4 with the aluminum flywheel and MSA exhaust, IMHO.  That Abarth system somebody posted the other day sounded good too.

• 4 weeks later...

The early Hitachi TM-1081ZA(S) and TM-1081ZB(S) radios had the controls on the same side in both markets (LHD and RHD) HLS30 and HS30.

The Fairlady Z-L's appears to have got an 8-track radio, where as the Fairlady Z-S got a similar radio to export markets but it was a bit more simple in that it didn't have the auto-tune feature and no antenna switch. Same faceplate design. 

More info here.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13817-hitachi-radio-model-tm-1081za-trivia/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...