IGNORED

Exhaust smell after sealing off air vent

mark248am

Home Depot press-on weather strip around the cardboard panel is the cheapest fastest.  But working on the other stuff is fun anyway.

Thanks for the part numbers cliffunseen.  Added to my list of extra stuff I should buy.

42 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

if not mentioned already, grommets on tank vent lines

where is that located? Is it in the rear inside the car? Cuz I found a couple of holes, one had a grommet the other didn't, had an electrical line for the fuel pump going through it. I taped over all the holes with duck tape.

behind the plastic panel that covers the pass side tail light. there are 2 on my 75 the lines route up to the "vapor separator". 2 lines one small than the other. if you pull of the inspection panel for access to the tail light you will see at least one of them. You may have to pull the entire back panel off to see the other, I don't really remember. on mine they fit very snuggly around the hose, they pull up like a sock to seal tightly around the hose. the hoses route down to the tank, fit in the back side ports of the tank. Could be different on a 240.

Edited by Dave WM

just to cover all the bases

If the hatch seal seems bad, I would start there, then test if they are bad should be done anyway to keep water out.

Can you do the dollar bill test on the hatch seal?

If still smell exhaust, then I would pull all the panel parts on the passenger side aft, and tail light (the entire back piece). and really get up close to look for missing or loose rubber. Filler neck goes thru the area behind the panel so clearly you need have seals there (top at filler and bottom to tank).

Edited by Dave WM

While your sealing up all the many places that exhaust leaks into the cab, don`t forget about these two, there is one on either side under the shock tower braces, they are the access holes for the mustache bar studs. They were never sealed up by Nissan but they do vent to outside air through the sub frame. I made up a circle from some  rubber sheet and sealed it around the edges. You can also see in this pic where the shock tower brace disappears under the deck, there is seam sealer missing behind brace and a hole going down into the sub frame.

Chris

DSCN0207.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, the rubber seals for the rear tail lights arrived and installed them awhile ago. I'd say around 80% of the fumes is gone now which is a huge difference. There is still another 20%. I'm going to replace my exhaust and exhaust pipes plus order rubber seals for the rear hatch since water leaks in when i wash the car which means fumes could easily come in as well. Hopefully those two fixes should sort my issues out.

IMG_5683.JPG

IMG_5684.JPG

IMG_5686.JPG

IMG_5685.JPG

Is your hatch inner vinyl panel on? Has it ever been removed? Fumes will suck right threw your latch assembly and come thru that big hole that is covered by that panel . It needs to be sealed with plastic