IGNORED

1971 HLS30-14938 "Lily" build

Patcon

7 hours ago, Patcon said:

Those are all Precision seals. They're not perfect around the glass. Maybe they'll get better with time

It's a problem with allmost all modern weather stripping kits. Seals used to be softer in the past to. The door slamming thing is also because to hard and thick modern seals, i found a problem for that finding my own seal at an industrial supplier. Currently not a Z but my 70 mustang was painted last year, and the rear glass was out, they put a new seal but it's leaking everywhere when I wash it and even with rain. ordered a more expensive one, going to try again.

• Like 1

Here are the quarter windows

20240413_145032_resized.jpg

This one looks pretty good. This is the main flaw in the other one

20240413_145024_resized.jpg

Hopefully this corner will settle in eventually. The good news is I can't see it from the drivers seat!

I polished the other door glass yesterday. The is Cerium Oxide. You have to make a slurry. It cleans it up pretty good but donesn't really remove big flaws. You can see the line of scratching right at the belt weatherstrip.

20240413_150322_resized.jpg

20240413_152252_resized.jpg

20240413_152257_resized.jpg

I filled the differential. The hand pump blew an end off at one point and blew that stinky stuff all over me!! :angry:

20240413_173152_resized.jpg

I got the hatch strut on yesterday too. It looks really nice @jfa.series1!

20240413_164312_resized.jpg

I have a problem with the hatch hinges though.

When I lower the hatch the hinge hits the ruber hinge cups. I am thinking there is too much sealant under them. I can force the hatch down the last few inches but you can tell the hinges don't move nay more. Can some body vouch for the hinges being supposed to clear all the way closed. When I lower the hinges down I can't get the hatch to flush up with the roof because of this interference.

20240413_175807_resized.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jfa.series1 said:

I think I spotted the problem on your last pic: the thin metal plate goes under the hinge.

IMG_20240414_184714910.jpg

The thin metal plate is under the hinge. Just an optical illusion.

I had considered removing the hatch and rubber boots. Cleaning them up. Reseal them but install the hatch to make sure they seat low enough. I really think mine had sealant on them when I removed the old ones. Sort of the wrong direction but I think it's gonna have to be done.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Patcon said:

I have a problem with the hatch hinges though.

When I lower the hatch, the hinge hits the rubber hinge cups. I am thinking there is too much sealant under them. I can force the hatch down the last few inches but you can tell the hinges don't move nay more. Can some body vouch for the hinges being supposed to clear all the way closed. When I lower the hinges down I can't get the hatch to flush up with the roof because of this interference.

20240413_175807_resized.jpg

I am not getting interference there... at least nothing I can feel.  Is it hitting the rubber, or the metal strip of the plate that goes over the rubber.  The metal plate is thin and easily bent.  If it is that which is interfering, you could try tapping it down with a hammer and a punch.  If a lot of sealant is poofing the rubber up, causing the interference, then yeah, you may need to put attention to removing that.

Edited by inline6
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I messed with the hatch hinges today.

Big sighhh... 😞

I took the bolts out and pulled the hinges, backer plates and the hinge cups out. I cleaned off the excess sealant and set the hinges back in place. At the the lowest location here is the RH hinge all the way down...

20240427_171019_resized.jpg

Edge of the bolt holes almost even with the gutter

Here's the LH side

20240427_171047_resized.jpg

No where close! That's weird...??

It's hitting the pocket.

The RH pocket

20240427_165531_resized.jpg

20240427_165539_resized.jpg

The LH pocket

20240427_165548_resized.jpg

20240427_165552_resized.jpg

Different locations!!

Look at the panel edge under the gutter

RH

20240427_171549_resized.jpg

LH

20240427_171558_resized.jpg

The car was not assembled even on both sides from the factory!! :blink:

So I took the die grinder to it and clearanced it.

20240427_171831_resized.jpg

Then drove it down some more with a punch and hammer.

Unfortunately, I have a hole now. So let's weld on our nice yellow car. 😞

20240427_171859_resized.jpg

20240427_175133_resized.jpg

20240427_175157_resized.jpg

Backed it with a piece of copper. I'll procrastinate on this for a few days probably. Will be an awful welding position and will probably get burnt some.

As I recall I had to weld one or both of the hinge tabs back to the hatch years ago when I was doing body work. I'm betting that was the LH side that broke from being flexed back and forth from years of use. I could go look but I'm too lazy to dig through 80 pages of posts.

So note to others check these pockets for clearance before you get this far along. 😉

• Wow 1
  • Sad 2